"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

5302E and dial blank

Started by Nilsog, September 12, 2011, 10:38:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nilsog

Hey everyone,

I bought a manual 5302 from eBay and it came today. It has a 95B blank in it, but it doesn't fit properly... Was the 95A more suited for this arrangement or was there another blank entirely for the 5302?

Also, I'm having trouble finding what the E meant. A was for manual, but this is marked E... any ideas?

On an unrelated note, the innards are all marked 12/45, which makes it the oldest phone I own :D

Ken

paul-f

I've read most of the 5302 BSPs listed on my site, and have yet to find a reference to a manual 5302.  One connections BSP that is shared with the similar 302 phones shows the 302 in manual and dial versions but the 5302 only in dial version.

That said, we have seen lots of examples of manual 302s and discussed this before.  Any standard 3" apparatus blank will fit.  Some folks have painted over the number rign so the letters and numbers don's show (as much).  We've seen sets with AE and SC blanks, among others.

Check out these topics:

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=4674.0

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=3546.msg47247#msg47247

Or search for manual 5302
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

Nilsog

Thanks for the info, Paul. As usual, search is my friend. I looked over your site extensively before posting here, if that's any consolation :)

So my new mission is to find the parts to put a dial back in this bugger. The dial, I suspect, would be the easy part and the bezel the hard.
Ken

paul-f

Maybe not so hard.  There are several phone refurbishers who routinely turn 5302s into 302s and have surplus housings with the number rings.

I picked up a box of GF handsets from one at a phone show a few years ago.

If no one here has any, you might try a request on the TCI list.

Jester

Ken,
Have you removed the blank?  From your picture it looks like the original no. ring is still intact--it's worth a look.  If it isn't there, PM me--I have extras.
Stephen

GG

If you can pick up a housing at reasonable cost I'd suggest doing so: it looks like your original housing has some pretty deep scratches that might be difficult to fix or make inconspicuous. 

In any case once you have it back in good condition you'll be happy with the results.

deedubya3800

Just wondering if there's any news to report on this telephone. Anything about a 5302 really piques my interest!

Doug Rose

I picked this up a few weeks a go, I have seen the dial raised like this, but never with these dial blank. Very hard to find a dial blank that take the normal screw that fits the dial and this is longer. It is in working condition, but with a newer curly cloth cord. Sure looks like a lot of trouble for a "Frankenphone." Sorry for the flash, it gets dark sooooo early now........Doug
Kidphone

poplar1

I found a 5302 with dial blank and F handset. I'm disappointed that it has an ill-fitting 95B dial blank instead of a black number ring + 3" dial blank. At least it is marked "5302E" on the bottom.

"E" is the correct code for manual with 3-conductor mtg. cord, as in 302E. "A" was used for the earliest manual 302s for single party use and 2-conductor mounting cord. AFAIK all 5302s are either E (manual) or G (dial).
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

paul-f

For reference, here are some harvested photos of a marked 5302E.

WEBellSystemChristian

Wow, now I really want a manual 5302!!

How are the 500-style blanks held in place underneath?
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

andre_janew

On the 500 sets they are held in place with two screws and a strap.  Of course, on the 5302 sets I suspect there are just two screws holding them in place.  To find out for sure would require opening up the phone.