News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Tell me your secrets, NE-233QF

Started by Fushigi Ojisan, July 12, 2018, 07:40:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fushigi Ojisan

FINALLY got a chance to spray the rust neutralizer.

First order of business, I scrubbed the polish off the little rusty square in front where the NE logo plate had been riveted on, the protected the surrounding area with masking tape.

Moved the phone outside (supposed to use in a well-ventilated area) and gave it light coats.  While outside I found other things that could use some rust conversion, so I can see if that works tomorrow (didn't seem to be doing much at the time, supposed to wait 24 hours).

The NE plate void has a nice black finish now, I'm tempted to hit it with some silver touch-up paint to see if I can blend it better.   Looks like I can get chrome paint at Home Depot or Lowe's that I could probably use on the vault interior as well.   

Will try to get some photos in the morning

-------------

UPDATE:   Went and got some Krylon chrome paint from Autozone.  The short version is I am very glad I masked off the area!   That paint spattered and went everywhere, I would totally not recommend it.   

Again, will get some pics soon
Fushigi Ojisan
Otaku with interesting hobbies

Fushigi Ojisan

Finally posting pics

Pic 1:  I read somewhere a trick was to use crumpled up aluminum foil with the polish, so I tried it to the left.   

Pic 2:  Aluminum foil trick after I did the whole side

Pic 3:  THIS is my peeling issue, thats cooper underneath and I don't want to mess with it too much

Pic 4:  I think the back is made of stainless steel, it responded really well to polishing, the cradle still has some pitting

Pic 5:  Masking off for rust converter

Pic 6:  In the vault, since the spring on the bottom wasn't rusty it got some masking tape, as did the network. 
Fushigi Ojisan

Fushigi Ojisan

More pics

Photo 1:  Rust neutralizer in place

Photo 2:  Bottom also has that chrome flaking issue

Photo 3:  First round of spraying.  This kinda pissed me off because it came out *thick* and was dripping everywhere. 

Photo 4:  I did get a good coat on the vault floor and out that outside patch, VERY glad I went nuts with the masking tape

Photo 5:  The can after I was done, the paint was all over my hands too (next time wearing gloves)

Photo 6:  Did I mention I was glad I really went the extra mile to mask off things?
Fushigi Ojisan

FABphones

Thanks for detailing your method as you go along. You are putting a lot of work into this, it will look good.  :) 
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

Fushigi Ojisan

Thanks, I think this may be the last batch of photos.   

Photo 1:  Vault floor with chrome paint over the rust converter

Photo 2:  D'oh!  the masking was *too* good, I left a bit of copper to the left of the logo

Photo 3:  Vault floor with masking tape removed

Photo 4:  It came with a barrel lock, unfortunately I misplaced the washers so when I put it on, it was loose

Photo 5:  This was fixed with a seriously beefy lock washer.  I used an old Sears/Craftsman Robo-GripĀ® to tighten it down.  Nobody is really going to see it, ne?

Photo 6:  The completed unit.

All that remains now is function-testing.  I had intended to replace my Bubba'd AE, but I am not so sure now.   

Fushigi Ojisan