News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

My new (to me) AE 890

Started by tipnring, July 21, 2017, 06:21:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tipnring

This was the only post I could find on the AE 890. I just picked one up today. Everything works. I thought there was no bell until I opened it up. Looks like some homemade wiring inside. Does any any one have a schematic of the AE 890 wiring.  Sure would be appreciated to get a schematic of the phone.   Dennis

Jack Ryan

Hi Dennis,

Is this the phone you mean (right side of page)?

http://www.telephonecollectors.info/index.php/document-repository/doc_details/1676-ae-catalog-ta75-section-m-station-eqioment-1975-ae890

I don't think I have ever seen a circuit for this telephone.

Did you mean to attach something where you said "this"?

Regards
Jack

TelePlay

That "this" referred to this topic

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=3239.0

from which the first post here was split off from to give this phone a unique place for discussion of it.

tipnring

Yes  Jack that is the phone I am referring to. The PDF does list a few GTEP's , technical documents, but I can't seem to find them. There was a you tube video from A1 Telephone repair that showed a wiring diagram and document that came inside the phone, but he said it was a customers phone not his, so he didn't have a copy of it. So if any one has one of these phones maybe you could open it and look inside for a wiring diagram.  Thanks Dennis.

Alex G. Bell

Quote from: tipnring on July 21, 2017, 10:06:39 PM
The PDF does list a few GTEP's , technical documents, but I can't seem to find them.
What specific GTEPs does it list?

tipnring

The documents were GTEP 473-420-100  and   GTEP 473-420-200... Dennis

Alex G. Bell

Quote from: tipnring on July 22, 2017, 09:54:29 AM
The documents were GTEP 473-420-100  and   GTEP 473-420-200... Dennis
Thought I might, but I don't have it, neither as a loose GTEP nor AE Tech Bulletin and it is not even listed in the contents for GTE Station Practices Handbooks CHB-120 for June 1975 or Sept. 1988.  So it probably got very narrow distribution.

It probably cannot be much different from the circuit for a DTMF 80-series telephone set with the minor changes from adding a rotary dial: just a few to put the DP contact in series with the line and the shunt across the receiver and transmitter or network. 

Your best bet probably would be to find the appropriate Touch Calling 80-series telephone set practice showing the same TC dial and network and then back-annotating that to show the rotary dial connections and additional or different terminal designations, if there are any.  There can't be many since most of the connections are to the network and most of them cannot change.

Another thought:  AE made an adjunct TC dial to add TC to a rotary dial 80-series tel. set.  The diagram showing the integration of that with the rotary dial set is also likely to be quite similar to the 890. 

Apparently that's covered in 473-821-400 "Auxiliary Touch Calling Adapter - Connections" contained in GTE CHB-120 Sept 1988. at Issue 4 with Addendum 2 and in the BC Tel 1978 Installation & Repair manual.  There are lots of copies of CHB-120 around so it should not be difficult to come up with a scan of that.

stub

Dennis,
         Here's pics of the insides of my 890 . stub

left click on pic to enlarge
Kenneth Stubblefield

Alex G. Bell

Quote from: stub on July 22, 2017, 10:58:29 PM
Dennis,
         Here's pics of the insides of my 890 . stub

left click on pic to enlarge
I don't recognize that metal "tub" on the left in the first photo.  Can you get a photo of it from the top or terminal side?

stub

Alex G. Bell,
                 I can't seem to get pics to post . I added the pic to the above post.  stub

------------------------------
EDIT:  ( problem images corrected and uploaded below )
Kenneth Stubblefield

jsowers

The "tub" on the left of the first picture is the network. It's on the right of the second picture, which is taken from the top.
Jonathan

Alex G. Bell

Quote from: stub on July 22, 2017, 11:29:29 PM
Alex G. Bell,
                 I can't seem to get pics to post . I added the pic to the above post.  stub
Thanks.  That's fine.  Of course it had to be the network but it's not one I remember seeing before.  It turns out to be the same one used in 880 speakerphones, given the use of the same housing.  Have not looked inside an 880 in decades!
http://www.telephonecollectors.info/index.php/document-repository/doc_download/1725-tb-470-916-type-880-speakerphone
Shown on p6.

Alex G. Bell

Quote from: jsowers on July 22, 2017, 11:50:26 PM
The "tub" on the left of the first picture is the network. It's on the right of the second picture, which is taken from the top.
Right.  Had to be.   Just didn't remember seeing an AE network like that.

tipnring

Problem solved. The pics from STUB were helpful. As well I found the 2 screws that the wires went to weren't tightly screwed down. I screwed the 2 wires onto them and success. But I broke 1 wire going to a spring relay and had to get the soldering iron out. Everything is good now. Thanks for all the help. I will post pictures of the phone after I buff it up.

stub

tipnring,
          Your welcome , sir. BTW what color is yours . I have one Sand Beige and the black one.
           Also check your touch call unit for this nice surprise . stub
Kenneth Stubblefield