News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

1956 GPO Computer generated bill........

Started by JubileeCompact, October 23, 2013, 02:40:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JubileeCompact

Hi Guys
Just won this :)- Whitstable is 20 odd miles away from me.........
Seamus
http://tinyurl.com/ovh5c38
Seamus

HarrySmith

Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

JubileeCompact

Guessing it was for a holiday home going on the fact the subscriber was from Somersert- Whitstable is still full of those!!
Seamus

JubileeCompact

I don't know if it will let you see this in the US.........£30 was more than 2x the average weekly wage at the time!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJ6SbvrjxZA
Seamus

gpo706

Peter Cushing lived in Whitstable until his death, maybe he had the huge bill?

There is still a small Cushing museum there...
"now this should take five minutes, where's me screwdriver went now..?"

twocvbloke

JubileeCompact

At least the Telephone Manager had an easy phone number to remember.......BT still have an exchange in the same place(Canterbury has 2 ).......
Seamus

poplar1

The Atlanta telephone number of the regional manager for Tenneco convenience stores (gasoline + cigarettes + junk food) (dépanneur) was an easy one: 451-2345.

It was a "terminating line"---not the usual "OPX"--- on a 557B cord switchboard at a telephone answering bureau where I once worked the graveyard shift. (Yeah, I got paid to sleep.) OPXs are off premise extensions where the customer line was multipled to both his place of business as well as the TAB. (You could answer but not call out on these "secretarial line" appearances on the 557B.) Terminating lines connected only to the answering bureau switchboard.

One guy used to call 451-2345 every time they would empty the dumpster at the Tenneco right behind his apartment at 2:00 in the morning. He would demand to speak to the Tenneco manager. I never could convince him that the manager wouldn't be able to answer his call.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

gpo706

gpo706