News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

WE 305

Started by LarryInMichigan, June 21, 2012, 01:58:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LarryInMichigan

I stopped today at the antiques shop which I mentioned three months ago (prev post) and found the WE 305 still sitting there.  This time, the owner wanted $40 and would not negotiate, so I caved in and bought it.  There is a glob of very had glue on the top front of the shell, but the shell does not otherwise appear to have any serious issues.  The ringer and coil are dated 46, and the dial is a #5.  The dial plate and finger wheel are worn, but the dial turns well.  Does anyone have an idea of what this might be worth?

At another shop, about a mile and a half down the street, I found a GE/Telechron 6B04 clock which I had been trying to find.

Larry

xylenol15

Whoa, hey, is that a ringer with one steel bell and one brass bell? Has this come up before?

poplar1

Yes, one steel and one brass are common in 1946 sets
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

xylenol15

That's neat! Would someone kindly post a sound file of a combination metal ringer, or a video of the phone itself ringing if this hasn't been done somewhere already?

HowardPgh

IMO- Brass gongs sound better than steel ones.
What does the switch do?
Howard

LarryInMichigan

The switch disconnects the ringer.  I have not yet connected this phone to hear how the ringer sounds.  I removed the glue from the front of the shell and started sanding the area, but I have not done anything further with it.  I was sort of hoping that someone would make me an offer that I couldn't refuse for the phone, and I could get ride of it.  I have at least a dozen phones and several clocks waiting to be restored aside from the 305.

Larry