News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Is there a way to fix mangled feet on the 500/1500/2500?

Started by zuperdee, May 06, 2010, 02:22:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zuperdee

I have a 1968 model 2500 which seems to be in BEAUTIFUL condition, with all matching parts... But I have a couple problems:

1) The dial is totally bad, and will need to be thrown away.
2) The feet look like they melted somehow. Is it maybe possible to drill out the rivets on these feet and hammer in new ones, or is this something that could only be done at the factory?

Dan/Panther

Zup;
Talk to Dennis Hallworth He can fix you up with feet.
As far as the dial is concerned, if it's complete, they can almost always be cleaned and will work great. Don't be to anxious to toss out parts.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

zuperdee

Quote from: Dan/Panther on May 06, 2010, 02:27:34 PM
Zup;
As far as the dial is concerned, if it's complete, they can almost always be cleaned and will work great. Don't be to anxious to toss out parts.
D/P

Dan, so how can I get in touch with Dennis Hallworth? It is a cosmetic matter, admittedly, but this is a beautiful phone, and I'd love to restore it to like-new condition if I can.

As for the dial: I would love to fix it, but I'm afraid in case it is NOT just a simple matter of fixing up electronics or cleaning out mechanical parts. The problem with this dial is that the plastic on one of the buttons has cracked, causing it become permanently stuck, rendering the dial unusable. Steve Hilz told me a while back that this kind of problem cannot be easily fixed, so I'm hoping I can at least find a dial of similar vintage to keep the phone as authentic and as close to matching dates as possible.

paul-f

Fixing broken buttons is not a simple task -- but it is one every collector should do at least once, as a rite of passage.

You will be amazed at the number of parts in such a small space.  Having delicate fingers and four hands helps.

(Yes, I have done it.  And No, I'm not anxious to do it again.)
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

Phonesrfun

Quote from: zuperdee on May 06, 2010, 02:56:47 PM
Quote from: Dan/Panther on May 06, 2010, 02:27:34 PM
Zup;
D/P

Dan, so how can I get in touch with Dennis Hallworth? It is a cosmetic matter, admittedly, but this is a beautiful phone, and I'd love to restore it to like-new condition if I can.

As for the dial: I would love to fix it, but I'm afraid in case it is NOT just a simple matter of fixing up electronics or cleaning out mechanical parts. The problem with this dial is that the plastic on one of the buttons has cracked, causing it become permanently stuck, rendering the dial unusable. Steve Hilz told me a while back that this kind of problem cannot be easily fixed, so I'm hoping I can at least find a dial of similar vintage to keep the phone as authentic and as close to matching dates as possible.

Dennis Hallworth goes by Dencins on this and other lists, and you can send him an IM or wait until he comes around and sees this thread.

He's the man for feet.
-Bill G

McHeath

A drill press will make short work of removing the old rivets on the feet.  To replace them you will need to buy a rivet gun, and then rivets, and fairly large ones as well.

dencins

On a 1968 500 I assume you are talking about round neoprene footpads.  The original rivets for these are next to impossible to find.  The original have a large domed head.  I use a stainless steel flat head rivet that has the correct shaft diameter and length.  As long as all four are replaced it would take someone who is aware of details and is well versed in phones to tell they are not the original rivets.

I have one set of round footpads that are in reasonable condition.  The other option is to find another 500 with good footpads and everything else bad to salvage a set of round pads.  If you are interested I can send you a picture of the footpads. 

Installing the rivets I use a tool used by aircraft repair to crimp rivets.  It does a very nice job setting the rivet.  I prefer the crimped rivets since the closely resemble the original.  You could use pop rivets but you will easily see the difference looking at the bottom of the baseplate.

If you decide to drill out the old rivets yourself be careful with the size of the drill you use.  If you enlarge the hole in the base plate you will need to go with oversized rivets to get a tight fit.

Dennis

foots

You may be able to find the rivets you need here.  If not, I'll check the catalog at work since we use similar rivets to install aluminum panels on our trailers. At work I use a small air hammer with the correct bit for the rivet head and a dolly on the small end of the rivet to flare it.   

http://www.rivetsinstock.com/rivet54.htm

http://www.rivetsnow.com/
"Ain't Worryin' 'Bout Nothin"

Dan/Panther

Dennis;
have you looked at these rivets from the link foots posted. they look like the rubber foot style.
D/P
http://www.rivetsinstock.com/rivet22.htm

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

dencins

Quote from: Dan/Panther on May 07, 2010, 05:29:36 PM
Dennis;
have you looked at these rivets from the link foots posted. they look like the rubber foot style.
D/P
http://www.rivetsinstock.com/rivet22.htm
D/P

The size of the original 500 neoprene rivets are 9/64" shank diameter with a head diameter of 7/16".

The oval and truss head rivets have a 9/64" shank and 5/16" head diameter.

A flat head rivet has a t 9/64" shank and the same 5/16" head diameter.

Dennis