News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Non-Bell WE 302 value

Started by novarlynx, February 01, 2016, 01:20:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

novarlynx

I have a WE 302 made in July 1949 that I restored to "almost brand new" condition. I know that 302 phones are worth at least $70 but mine isn't a Bell System model, there's no markings on it anywhere. All it says is "Western Electric Company" on the F1 handset and "302" is stamped on the bottom of the phone. On the inside there's a date stamp and some sort of a number (serial?) and every component has "07/49" stamped on it. There's nothing else anywhere on the phone. It was missing the dial card when I got it.

I do know it was in service somewhere in southern Maine, and I think there may have been an independent operating down there at the time.

What would such a phone be worth, since it's what I call an "export" model not made for the Bell System?

I don't plan to sell it, was just curious.
The digital PSTN is so boring now. I wish I could have experienced what it was like to use the Bell System with all its analog wonders.

Well, at least we have museums. Right?

andre_janew

If it was made for use outside the Bell System, it would have F-1W on the handset.

Dan/Panther

Pictures would go along ways to answering your questions.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

novarlynx

Well I just noticed that the "302" must have worn off when I was cleaning it, and that there weren't any other numbers inside. I thought I had seen a serial number but I guess not. Did find "H1" near one of the housing screws on the bottom though.

Here's lots of pictures! I added the Bell System logo myself. Dial card holder is borrowed from a metal dial WE 500, until I get another one.
The digital PSTN is so boring now. I wish I could have experienced what it was like to use the Bell System with all its analog wonders.

G-Man

Your handset is marked "F1W" which indicates it was made for use outside of the Bell System. Even if it did not have the "W" suffix, it still could have been intended for outside use since it otherwise, does not have "BELL" markings. I have cropped your photo to show the "W."

novarlynx

I noticed the W and knew that it meant that (saw a G1W once too)... what would my phone be worth then? More or less than its Bell counterpart?

poplar1

Quote from: novarlynx on February 01, 2016, 01:52:49 PM
Well I just noticed that the "302" must have worn off when I was cleaning it, and that there weren't any other numbers inside. I thought I had seen a serial number but I guess not. Did find "H1" near one of the housing screws on the bottom though.

"302" is usually not marked anywhere on these, other than some remanufactured sets, where it is marked on the bottom, not inside.
"H1" is the assembly code for an "H1 Telephone Set Mounting." When a handset and cords are added to an H1 Tel Set Mounting, you have a "302-type Telephone Set." With the numbers and letters number plate, and 3-conductor mounting cord, the non-Bell version would have been coded "302GW-3."
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Sargeguy

I tend to disagree that a 302 is worth "at least $70".  I have bought nice sets like this one for $25.  I have sold sets like this for $125.  You would have to swap out the cord for a period, or at least a black one.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

HarrySmith

There were plenty of 302's for sale at the Maitland show this past weekend. Ranging in price from $10.00 to $225.00 for a 37 model. Prices on these are all over the place. Depends on who's eye it catches, rarity and condition.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"