News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Pink Chinese 500 Reproduction on Ebay

Started by JimH, November 07, 2009, 10:24:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JimH

I was browsing ebay and came across this pink 500 reproduction from a seller in China.  This is much different than the Crosley reproductions that are seen so often.  It also appears to be a REAL rotary!  I don't know how this would work with the # and * keys.  This is different than the raised buttons on the Crosleys.  Notice if you dial "0" you get the "rotarepo"!  

It's ebay item number:   180424246238

Jim H.

bellsystemproperty

I think when you dial it the pulses are converted to tone, basically like the rotatone that you put inside phones.

Phonesrfun

I guess they had their prototype in the mirror when they did the "rotarepo"  You gotta love Engrish.
-Bill G

McHeath

It's tempting to get one of these and see what the deal is with that dial.  It certainly looks like it turns, which I suppose makes it a "rotary" phone of a sort. 

bellsystemproperty

I thought about getting that one too, but for the same price I could get real ten rotary phones! If this dial does move, then I guess that means rotary phones are technically still in production. It would scary looking inside the phone, guaranteed its not even close to WE quality, not even Cortelco. They say it has real bells, but I think it probably has some tinny speakers playing the recording of real bells ringing.

dsk

Then you can call ROTAREPO and ask for the right time:

dsk

dsk

I just cant resist digging in this dirt.
You may get it in several colors, and its send from a UK company:
maldonemporium.co.uk
http://maldonemporium.co.uk/

http://tinyurl.com/ycz4fn3

dsk

Modified 20 nov.  dsk

bellsystemproperty

Your link doesn't work. I'd actually buy one of these to see how they are if they didn't have the stupid * and # digits, instead of ten holes there are 12. What they should have done is make it where to dial * you dial 1 for an extra second, and 2 for an extra second for #.

Phonesrfun

I did an inquiry on the item number.  Try this link:

http://tinyurl.com/yjvxxz7

Same "ROTAREPO" problem as the pink one.
-Bill G

Phonesrfun

On the other hand, maybe it was made by the Rotary Reproduction Company whose logo is ROTAREPO  ;D

Now I am going to answer myself: 

Naw, that would make too much sense.  Probably the reason for it is that on a Western Electric 500, the word operator does read from left to right, but also from the lowest point up to the top.  Aren't Asian languages normally read from the top down?  They probably thought they were correcting WE's error, or making it more understandable to someone in an Asian culture....Or maybe keeping with the bottom-to top orientation while moving the "0" from roughly the 5:O'clock position to roughly the 4:O'Clock position, that's just the way it came out.... Or maybe just a goof.  Who knows.  Still comical.

-Bill G

JorgeAmely

Jorge

contraste

Quote from: Phonesrfun on November 19, 2009, 10:31:12 PM
I did an inquiry on the item number.  Try this link:

http://tinyurl.com/yjvxxz7

Same "ROTAREPO" problem as the pink one.

It has a 'Hands Free' feature!?

JimH

Next it'll have a built-in yogurt maker and will be able to weld under water.  :D
Jim H.

Phonesrfun

-Bill G

dsk

Quote from: JimH on November 07, 2009, 10:24:41 PM
I was browsing ebay and came across this pink 500 reproduction from a seller in China.  This is much different than the Crosley reproductions that are seen so often.  It also appears to be a REAL rotary!  I don't know how this would work with the # and * keys.  This is different than the raised buttons on the Crosleys.  Notice if you dial "0" you get the "rotarepo"!  

It's ebay item number:   180424246238

Cant let this tread die, had a little to much time, so I made this for the AE80E if you want a rotarepo dial, or just want to export a bunch of used AE80E's  ;D

dsk