and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Perfect AE 34

Started by Doug Rose, January 21, 2017, 09:55:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

Kidphone

AE_Collector

Okay thanks, that's what it looked like to me as well but sometimes there are faint outlines of letters and numbers visible if viewed at the right angle in the right light. and unfortunately no schematic inside this one, they usually have some of the same info stamped on them.

Terry

unbeldi

The label indicates an early 34A3, probably before August 1934 when the handset patent was awarded.
I don't think these early sets had any stampings on the bottom, other than the patent label.  I think, the type was only recorded on the wiring schematic.  It is probably a L-220 A0, or a L-221.

AE_Collector

Do you know what that handset patent was specifically? Basically the handset existed from the previous type 1A and AE 2 sets though there were several subtle changes to the shape of the handle and then later the upgrade to the newer type 41 transmitter elements, maybe receiver elements as well.

Terry

unbeldi

Quote from: AE_Collector on January 29, 2017, 11:38:09 PM
Do you know what that handset patent was specifically? Basically the handset existed from the previous type 1A and AE 2 sets though there were several subtle changes to the shape of the handle and then later the upgrade to the newer type 41 transmitter elements, maybe receiver elements as well.

Terry

Sure.  It is listed in the table of patents in the topic about patent labels.
It includes the handset for the 34A3 and the Type 32A14 handset used on the private telephone systems. It was applied for in 1932.

Here it is:

US1971499 1934 1932 Obergfell AEL--Telephone Handset

stub

unbeldi,
          Here's mine with the 33.3 frequency ringer ,528 ohms ,D-56390 C from the AE Catalog 4055 , 1934 , pg 6. The reason Doug's looks a little different, I think, is because it is missing the 3/16" post under the gongs ,in pic ,that you mentioned earlier.   stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

unbeldi

Quote from: stub on January 30, 2017, 09:50:32 AM
unbeldi,
          Here's mine with the 33.3 frequency ringer ,528 ohms ,D-56390 C from the AE Catalog 4055 , 1934 , pg 6. The reason Doug's looks a little different, I think, is because it is missing the 3/16" post under the gongs ,in pic ,that you mentioned earlier.   stub

The D-563xx ringers are indeed the original ringers for the 34A3 telsets, I believe. They do not have the gong mounting rods on the ringer motor itself, but required separate mounting brackets on the base plate, as shown in your picture.  I do believe that Doug's set also has these mounting brackets.  The difference is that his ringer motor was originally for wall-mounted subscriber sets with the gongs directly connected to the ringer motor.  The head yoke of the ringer motor with the gong rods was replaced with the angular mounting bracket that attaches the ringer motor to the base plate.

PS: here is a picture of Doug's ringer before adaptation for the AE 34.

PS: I think I was wrong here in that the mountings for the gongs are actually not attached to the base plate separately, but are part of the angular bracket.

AE_Collector

A very quick look at that patent seems that this was the introduction of contact points for the transmitter rather than screw terminals on the transmitter. And likely a design where either the conventional receiver or the induction coil receiver would fit into the handset shell.

The underside of the handle is completely flat from receiver end to transmitter end. Some earlier handsets had a slight bow in the underside to mimick the curve on the top side. But that curve may have been gone already in prior models.

Terry

Quote from: unbeldi on January 30, 2017, 08:57:26 AM
Sure.  It is listed in the table of patents in the topic about patent labels.
It includes the handset for the 34A3 and the Type 32A14 handset used on the private telephone systems. It was applied for in 1932.

Here it is:

US1971499 1934 1932 Obergfell AEL--Telephone Handset

Doug Rose

thanks guys for all the info, you have convinced me to keep it. I was surprised that it did not go for the $230 opening bid. I have sold AE34s in the past for more money that were not in this great condition.

It has that "new" Bakelite look that you cannot recreate. Just soft, shiny and smooth. The cords are in wonderful shape as well....Doug
Kidphone

Jack Ryan

Quote from: AE_Collector on January 30, 2017, 11:27:43 AM
And likely a design where either the conventional receiver or the induction coil receiver would fit into the handset shell.

I think that was always the case.

I always wondered why this patent (US1971499) isn't listed on the base of the AE34. The AE35 lists the patent for the IC receiver

Jack

AE_Collector

Quote from: Jack Ryan on January 30, 2017, 06:54:38 PM
I think that was always the case.

I always wondered why this patent (US1971499) isn't listed on the base of the AE34. The AE35 lists the patent for the IC receiver

Jack

One would think the handset would be designed to accept either receiver and allow for the extra conductors between transmitter and receiver but the wording in the patent seemed to imply that this was new for this patent. I didn't spend much time scanning through it though.

Terry

Jack Ryan

Quote from: AE_Collector on January 30, 2017, 07:30:07 PM
One would think the handset would be designed to accept either receiver and allow for the extra conductors between transmitter and receiver but the wording in the patent seemed to imply that this was new for this patent. I didn't spend much time scanning through it though.

Terry

I didn't read the patent but the handset handles on earlier Monophones were interchangable between (say) the AE 1 and the AE11. This goes back to the handles that were round in cross section and were marked at each end (AE Inc/AE Co and Made in USA).

Jack

AE_Collector

Yes I need to get a handle (no pun intended) on the variations of the "Type 38" style handsets.

There seem to be several tiny little differences but I don't know how many in total.

Terry