News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Ericsson N1071A15 - HB900

Started by wds, October 03, 2013, 07:35:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wds

Grabbed this off of Ebay - Ericsson N1071 wall phone.  This phone is made by Ericsson, model # 1071, but is stamped N1071A15, then HB900, which is the New Zealand model.  Notice the backwards dial - and it's larger than it might appear in the picture.  The phone is flawless, and looks like it has never been used.  This is the wall version of the Ericsson 300 series phones and is quite striking.  Not sure how it made it's way to USA, but I'm happy it did.  It was advertised as a Siemens Brothers phone which I think is incorrect.  Seems to be dated 1953.
Dave

Gilas

Absolutely beautiful phone.  Great find!!

TelePlay

Quote from: wds on October 03, 2013, 07:35:11 PMNotice the backwards dial . . .

That's interesting. 9 is one pulse, 1 is 9 pulses and 0 is ten pulses. As anyone know how the switch handled/decoded that?

And, yes, a very nice phone all around.

gpo706

I have a GPO 311 it must be identical to yours made by Ericsson under licence.

Mine has a "Call Exchange" button and descriptor badge, unfortunately it has a forwards dial!

I'd love to put a reverse dial on one of my 200/300 series just for giggles.

BTW when you open the casing, you might see the wiring connections are all reversed on the block, runs backwards, a bit confusing compared to desk sets!
"now this should take five minutes, where's me screwdriver went now..?"

AE_Collector

I believe that all of the "backwards dials" worked on the 7A rotary system. I assume that CO could be programmed errr, "optioned" to handle digits from this dial or a normal dial and isn't there one other dial configuration seen occasionally? Maybe 1 to 0 but backwards instead of 0 to 9 backwards like this one.

Terry

dsk

Congratulations with what I grew up with as a "normal" Dial ;D 
Oslo and NZ used this as a standard, and we don't really know why, but it is definitely related to the 7A switches.

You could not use a telephone with international dial in Oslo, and you still cant.

Dialgizmo accepts this dial and makes DTMF out of it  :D

dsk

AE_Collector

Oh that is interesting dsk. So while most people in Oslo now have "normal" DTMF phones, for anyone still using Dial Pulse the obviously modern digital CO switch is set to still use the "backwards Dial" configuration. I never thought about that. I almost might have expected the telco to disable dial pulse ability there by now to stop problems with people getting their own dial phones that aren't "backwards" and calling the Telcoo to complain when they won't work correctly.

Terry

dsk

No, that's actually still a problem, if you bring your phone across the city limit, it will dial wrong :D
An the other hand new exchanges the last few years does not recognize pulse, and now thy have planned to shut down the P.O.T.S. trough copper wires.
The plans are no P.O.T.S. in Norway by the end of 2017. The first municipality started august 31.
All customers are "guaranteed" a replacement by fiber or mobile network for internet and telephony. Alarms and other safety equipment are not covered.

dsk

AE_Collector

Quote from: dsk on October 05, 2013, 06:10:05 AM
All customers are "guaranteed" a replacement by fiber or mobile network for internet and telephony. Alarms and other safety equipment are not covered.

If they use mobile network to replace POTS they will install a base unit that converts to the copper wiring within a home presumably? They aren't handing the peson a cell phone whe nthe POTS goes dead?

If so then at least the alarm systems will still be able to operate without the need for additional equipment such as Cellular or Internet adapters.

Terry

dsk

They have been talking about tabletop cellphones, but we have to wait and see how it turns out after some areas has been trying out this and that.

dsk

HarrySmith

Back in the 1980's when I was still living in Connecticut I had my first cell phone with SNET. I had a phone with them since I was 15 years old. One day I got a call that someone from SNET wanted to come visit me with a surprise. Imagine my surprise ;D
I was told I was chosen as a special long time customer and they wanted me to try out a new phone system. The system was a cell phone and a home phone in one. I got free service for 6 months while trying it out. I also got a cell phoneand a base with a handset. The phone operated as a cell on the mobile network until I got within 6 feet of my door, then the base unit picked up and switched it to the home phone on the landline. Worked great as far as I could tell  but apparently nothing ever came of it.
I have not thought about that in years but apparently SNET was ahead of the times!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

twocvbloke

Sounds rather like the Rabbit phone system we briefly had here in the UK

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rabbit_(telecommunications)

I remember the signs for that being up long after the service died off, still occasionally see a worn away and rusted sign here and there, but it's well and truly gone now... :D

AE_Collector

I knew someone who Field Trialed that same system here in Vancouver Harry. I think it would have been VERY late 80's oe more likely early 1990's.

Terry

dsk

:( Sorry it was not my intention to hijack this thread!

The wall-phone is a great phone, in really nice shape. The reverse Dial is an interesting point, and why this reverce dial was chosen in the 7A system are of less importance in this thread.

The practical solution to use it without changing the dial is actually a dialgizmo, this may be programmed to convert reverse dial to dtmf just by flipping a switch.  :D

dsk

wds

No, hijack all you want!  This has been quite an interesting discussion.  I appreciate all the comments!
Dave