News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Your most "interesting" phone is...

Started by McHeath, February 02, 2010, 07:47:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

McHeath

What phone do you consider your most interesting and why?  Any and all phones are worth hearing about, and seeing preferably if you can post a picture.  I'm guessing there are some pretty unique phones out there.

I'll start off with my collections most interesting phone, to me anyway.  It's a July of 2003 made Cortelco 500.  What makes it grab my attention so much is that it's such a weird and strange thing for anyone to have still been making rotary phones based on 1940's technology in the early 21st century.  Can't imagine that in the era of smart phones and WIFI these were hot sellers.

Dan

Did you pay extra for the amplified handset, or do they all come this way?
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

McHeath

They all have those now, and it works quite well, it's sorta a take on the old WE style with the rotary knob in the handset but it's far simplified down. 

Steve

Pretty cool that they still make them.
it's hard to find a new audience for things like this, but those who know what they want will hunt them down. 

You did. :)

my Grandmother was hard of hearing, and had a beige 554 with the amplifier in the 70's. like the one in your picture.

before my grandparents moved, I remember they had a regular black 354. I remember she used to yell into that thing whenever she got a call.
If you're a long way from home,
Can't sleep at night.
Grab your telephone,
Something just ain't right.

gpo706

"now this should take five minutes, where's me screwdriver went now..?"

Phonesrfun

It is still amazing that the basic telephone circuit is still at the forefront of technology.  The basic circuits of telephones were worked out in the early part of the 20th century and are still going strong. 

-Bill Geurts
-Bill G

teka-bb

This is my most interesting one, it's a little older  ;) :

Wooden telephone made by the Dutch company P. J. Kipp en Zonen from Delft, around 1880. This instrument is fitted with a Blake transmitter and a Theiler receiver.

The fun thing is that the Kipp company still exists. I got this phone from a Dutch collector.

Theiler info:
http://www.telephonecollecting.org/theiler.htm

Blake info:
http://www.bobsoldphones.net/Pages/Essays/BlakeTransmitter/Blake%20Page%201.htm
=============================================
Regards,

Remco, JKL Museum of Telephony Curator

JKL Museum of Telephony: http://jklmuseum.com/
TCI Library: http://www.telephonecollectors.info/

Wallphone

Remco,
What is the purpose of the eccentric ring on the back of the Theiler Receiver?
Dougpav

teka-bb

Quote from: Wallphone on February 03, 2010, 08:45:53 AM
Remco,
Dougpav

It's an external magnet.
Regards,

Remco, JKL Museum of Telephony Curator

JKL Museum of Telephony: http://jklmuseum.com/
TCI Library: http://www.telephonecollectors.info/

AET

I have a rural communications phone, no pic at the moment, that is like a manual dial 500 with an attatched keypad to make it touch-tone.  Very light-weight and dated 1987.  Had to have it because it was such an oddity.  Haven't seen anymore since.
- Tom

Doug Rose

I have a really nice Western Electric wall phone that I think was used in a Movie Studio. Excuse the picture, but I think you can see the main aspects of the phone. I have never seen one like it. I found this 20 + years ago. Factory black paint over wood. Beautiful handset cord to a metal/brass handset. Just a sharp phone. Second, I have added a Teaching phone that was used in schools. You got in in a box and physically built the phone, connected them together and the kids spoke to each other. It even came with the instructions. Third, I think most of you have seen this as I have posted it before. An Automatic Electric 34. Large heavy brass United States Navy dial blank (for lack of a better term). I have never seen or heard of another. Lastly, I have added a big  Five Foot Bell Telephone Sign that hung in a Bus Terminal in Concord NH. I know its not a phone, but it is quite cool. Very rare to find this with its copper frame. usually they were just ripped out of them.....Doug
Kidphone

Dennis Markham

Those are very interesting, Doug.  I especially like the sign.  Knowing a little history of it's origin makes it even more interesting.  Thanks for those pics.

Wallphone

Quote from: teka-bb on February 03, 2010, 09:19:13 AM
Quote from: Wallphone on February 03, 2010, 08:45:53 AM
Remco,
Dougpav

It's an external magnet.

Thanks Remco,
If I would have looked at your link better, I would have known that.
I was too busy looking at the pics on the right.
Dougpav

gpo706

Love them all, the kiddie kit is amazing as is the soungstage phone and the Navy machine.

Most of all THAT SIGN!

Absolutely pristine, beautiful item, did you rescue it personally from the bus station?

I dont have much of interest apart from maybe my 2 "weatherproof" phones, one dial and pulse, one I got just recently button and DTMF.
"now this should take five minutes, where's me screwdriver went now..?"

phoneguy06

Although most of you have already seen these photos, I thought I might as well post them again here. First is the D1 I received as a Christmas gift that was purchased locally and that I use on a regular basis. Second is my never-used cherry red 2003 Cortelco 500 set. Nothing particularly special, except that I know that new red 500s certainly aren't common, and this is especially shiny :).