and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

The Red Continental is here!!

Started by finlover, January 29, 2010, 10:21:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

finlover

Quote from: mienaichizu on January 30, 2010, 11:15:44 AM
wow greg that's nice, its almost in mint condition
Thanks, mienaichizu!  When my red cords get here it will be good to go.  I just hope the color matches.

finlover

Quote from: McHeath on January 30, 2010, 11:45:35 AM
All I can say is WOW!!  What a fab phone!  Your time machine is working well. :)
Glad you like it, McHeath.  Yep, I just had the time machine in for it's 60,000 year service--it's running like a top. :)

Doug Rose

Quote from: finlover on January 30, 2010, 09:46:51 AM
Quote from: Kidphone on January 30, 2010, 07:56:25 AM
Greg....OUTSTANDING PHONE!!!! You have made it shine like new. I think the phone is definitely worth what you paid for it. You don't see these every day, especially in this fine condition. Congrats.....Doug
Thanks so much, Kidphone!  That means a lot coming from a true connoisseur like you.  I know it's hard to tell from photos, but in your opinion is my phone Pekin Red or blood red like your 302?

Greg....from the pictures it looks like its not as dark as my "Blood Red" and not as "orange" as the Pekin Red. My 202 matched the '55 500 set perfectly. But how was mine stored? In a box or a dark bedroom that was never used.  55 years in normal daylight can change the color of anything. If its not factory, it was done by a professional. It looks wonderful and will look even better with that matching cords. I would put in on my shelf in a heartbeat. It is a great find....Doug
Kidphone

Dan/Panther

Greg;
If the cords don't match to your satisfaction, I have a Peking Red 302, that needs new a handset cord, and I have no red line cord. I will buy them from you, if you want to sell them.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Dan

Very very nice. It looks more blood red to me. I am glad you have a true original!
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

Dennis Markham

Greg, I don't know where you ordered your cords from but I'm guessing House of Telephones (Oldphoenworks).  I bought a coiled handset (cloth) from them for a Green Continental.  It really was too long.  I'll attach a photo to show you.  I think they come in 12 inch length (coiled).  I then custom ordered another, I believe in an 8 inch length.  I traded the cord to Jonathan so he would tell you how it turned out.  But before I buy another one for a desk set I'd order a shorter length.  The standard length was way too long.  It looked odd on the phone.  (I just realized the cord I'm about to show you was made by Odis LeVrier before everything went to Canada.  I don't know if they changed their dimensions or not).

On the custom ordered job it took forever.  They made the cord then had to send it from Canada to California to be coiled.  Then it was shipped BACK to Canada to have the spade tips on before they shipped it to me.  I think it was a couple of month wait for that cord.  They didn't charge me any more (or less) for the shorter cord.  It may be a moot point now but it may be worth a phone call to talk about that length before they ship it.  However, they probably have them all made up in that color and as quick as they normally are it's halfway to Texas by now.

finlover

Quote from: Dan/Panther on January 30, 2010, 01:50:37 PM
Greg;
If the cords don't match to your satisfaction, I have a Peking Red 302, that needs new a handset cord, and I have no red line cord. I will buy them from you, if you want to sell them.
D/P
Thanks for the offer, Dan, 
I'll let you know.

finlover

Quote from: Dennis Markham on January 30, 2010, 04:50:56 PM
Greg, I don't know where you ordered your cords from but I'm guessing House of Telephones (Oldphoenworks).  I bought a coiled handset (cloth) from them for a Green Continental.  It really was too long.
Thanks for the heads-up, Dennis.  I really should have read OPW's item description more carefully--it says 22" coiled, 5' stretched, which is longer than I would prefer.  Still, a two month wait is too long for Mr. Instant Gratification here.  The black cord that came on it was not much shorter than that, and it was fatter too.  I think what I'll do is display it with the bulk ot the cord behind the housing instead of in front like we're used to with our 500s.  Here's a photo of a blue 202 with an OPW cord displayed like that and it looks alright.  If I was going to actually use this phone though, that extra length would drive me crazy!

finlover

Okay, for anyone that cares the shade of red is officially settled!  I compared the 202 to two '60s red phones I have and they are exactly the same.  It seems that it is my '55 500 that's a slightly brighter shade, which was throwing me off.  As we've seen before, there can be small variations in soft plastic colors.  So my Continental is definitely Cherry Red and not Pekin Red.  If the cloth cords don't work out I guess I could always put a red vinyl cord on there.

Dennis Markham

We ALL care, Greg.  I knew it was the darker red, I just knew it. :)

Dan

"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

Jester

I suspect your new cords WILL be the lighter color.  But, before you resort to vinyl, consider finding a way to darken the new cords to the proper shade.  Just my 2 cents.
Stephen

finlover

Quote from: Jester on January 30, 2010, 11:52:16 PM
I suspect your new cords WILL be the lighter color.  But, before you resort to vinyl, consider finding a way to darken the new cords to the proper shade.  Just my 2 cents.
Well, if they clash too badly the Rit dye color scarlet is awfully close to Cherry Red.  I've used it before to restore the color to faded red vinyl cords.

bingster

You might also try using red switchboard cords for handset and mounting cords.  I think they're much redder than the cords that are sold for Pekin Red phones.
= DARRIN =

finlover

Cool!  Where do you think I could find some?