News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

W.E. 302 1937

Started by captroosh, January 18, 2022, 06:34:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

captroosh

I came across this in an Estate sale in Georgia. I stumbled across it on FB. https://www.estatesales.net/GA/Acworth/30102/3087294 quite huge phone collection. I missed a blue one but managed to score this one.  I just received it today. $138 total with taxes. Caught a break on shipping. Very nice shape. Came with a modular phone line. And cloth handset cord. It works but could use some minor work. Dial is slightly slow and audio cuts in out on a call. Some photos.

< edit 01-20-22 : image removed, rotated, reattached >
Capt. Roosh.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.

oldguy

Congratulations, Great find capt.Roosh. it may be the picture but I don't see any vents?
Gary

captroosh

Quote from: oldguy on January 18, 2022, 06:42:49 PM
Congratulations, Great find capt.Roosh. it may be the picture but I don't see any vents?
Thank you. It's the photo. It was late and I was just so excited to get the phone, I didn't take good photos. I'm gonna take a few more today, under better lighting. I did open it up and it was dated 6-37 on the base. I'm debating if I should have it restored or not. I need to get some proper lubrication for the dial. Gonna play with it more today.
Capt. Roosh.

captroosh

OK here are some better photos I hope. I had to add a filter so you can see the vents clearly. There is an internal picture of the Dial. There is no plastic cover for the mechanism. I'm assuming there should be. In the past I have used Penetrating Oil on therse but have since been advised against it. What lubrication is recommended. Another thing I noticed is that there seems to be intermittent contact being made. SO sometimes I get dial tone when the receiver is lifted and sometimes not. If I repeatedly press the hook switch I do get dial tone. Although when I dial it seems that dial tone breaks like it normally should, but then comes back after I dial another number or 2. So presently it can't Dial out. The phone does ring although not very loudly. I'm using one of those radio shack wireless jacks. I'm gonna try it directly to my VOIP connection on my cable modem next.
Capt. Roosh.

Witty

Capt. Roosh.

Nice find.
These aren't seen on the market as much anymore.
I used a filter on your first photo of the back and was able to see the vents, but was also able to see the H1 faintly stamped in the metal right above the cord mouse hole in the back.
This dial did not have a plastic cover on the back, so looks like yours is all original.
I agree penetrating oil should not be used, but I have used a very small amount of machine oil in the past that seemed to work ok.
There is a member that cleans and tunes dials for a very reasonable fee. I just don't remember who it is at the moment. Maybe someone can chime in on that.
As for the dial tone off and on, it might simply be the switch hook mechanism is dirty, sticks a little, and needs cleaning, based on your description of having to press it often.
Either way, I think you did good!

Ken
Ken

MMikeJBenN27

Wow!  This really is a 37!  Riveted on feet, backward facing coil and all!  Congratulations on a great find. 

Mike

HarrySmith

Nice find. As for the dial Steve Hilsz in Arizona is the dial king. Plenty of posts about his work in the telephone vendors topic. Clean & calibrate for $6!
I do not see a dial gasket, is there one? Also with the stamp over for the R terminal I think it could be a converted #2 dial.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

captroosh

Quote from: HarrySmith on January 20, 2022, 07:51:34 AM
Nice find. As for the dial Steve Hilsz in Arizona is the dial king. Plenty of posts about his work in the telephone vendors topic. Clean & calibrate for $6!
I do not see a dial gasket, is there one? Also with the stamp over for the R terminal I think it could be a converted #2 dial.
No Gasket that I can see either. Be honest I wouldn't know the difference between a 2 and a 4 dial. I can tell you is, that this one has the clickity clack sound when dialed. I'll look into the gentlemen you mentioned.
Capt. Roosh.

Doug Rose

I think the gasket has broken away as the grommets are still in place. Some gaskets get very different brittle.

This is a nice find with the 4H and the E1....Doug
Kidphone

Witty

I have to agree with Doug.
When you zoom in close to the dial screws you can see cracked pieces of the gasket sleeves under the grommet flanges, with some broken off. They look very brittle.
It makes me think the dial has not been removed for a long time, and those cracked pieces will flake off as soon as the dial is removed.
Replacement gaskets can be found, but there are also nice reproduction gaskets out there if you so desire.
Ken