News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Using a modular connector in a F1 handset?

Started by HarrySmith, November 25, 2019, 11:00:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HarrySmith

Is this even possible? Has anyone tried it? Successfully or not? I am interested in a custom color 302 but the only cords in that color are modular. Can it be done?
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Jim Stettler

Quote from: HarrySmith on November 25, 2019, 11:00:24 AM
Is this even possible? Has anyone tried it? Successfully or not? I am interested in a custom color 302 but the only cords in that color are modular. Can it be done?
Short Answer:
You can modify a jack to physically fit inside a "F" handset. Electrically it works. The hardest part is to get the cord to look right as it enters the handset.
The public probably wouldn't notice, It may bug a collector.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Long ago I experimented with  modular jacks in old handsets (F and similar). Most have a space big enough for a modified jack.
I used the mod jack from a G handset. Using a Dremel tool w/ wire brush, I removed as much excess plastic as possible,
The mod end wont fit thru the cord. I cut it off, passed it thru the hole and added a new end. The other end is hidden in the housing.
Electrically this works.
If it is a hollow handset ,  you can shorten the leads for the receiver. I would try to fit the excess wire into the handset, if there isn't enough room , then cut and add ends. I try mot to cut factory ends if it can be avoided.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Visually you need something to transition the cord into the handset.
The hardest part is to find  a nice transition sleeve going into the handset. Shrink tubing may work. I thought about wrapping the cord with electrical tape to fit the hole and shrink tube to hide the tape and transition to the cord. I never experimented with it. My main goal was to see if I could retro a mod jack to an old HW handset.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have seen HW cords made with flat cordage. These had an adapter sleeve  that fits into the handset hole  and the cordage slides thru it. these were made for G handsets. I think there made a rubber boot for the handset end of F handsets. These were used with cloth cords during the war years. It helped extend the useful life of the cord.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Not all mod handset cords have the same length on the ends. This also affects appearance. If you cut a long cord in half you can use the straight end on the handset and
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
At one point I had some rubber jacket mod handset cords, these had extra rubber on the cord that came them more of a rounded appearance. these looked pretty good.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jim
I have a F handset that was drilled out at the cord end and a modular jack added.
They should of made the hole little deeper because the jack sticks out. They secured it with a clear glue.
I think you will a better look with my method and it doesn't damage anything except a  mod G jack.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

HarrySmith

Thanks Jim. What about the element? I do not think there is enough room for the "cup" with the modular connector that is used in the G handsets. I seem to recall a spring type thing that snaps around the element I found on a reproduction phone one time but I have no idea if those are available.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Jim Stettler

Quote from: HarrySmith on November 25, 2019, 05:39:44 PM
Thanks Jim. What about the element? I do not think there is enough room for the "cup" with the modular connector that is used in the G handsets. I seem to recall a spring type thing that snaps around the element I found on a reproduction phone one time but I have no idea if those are available.
Don't use the cup. Use the original elements. 
the modified jack is to transition the mod cord back to hardwire.
The spring things, and foam donuts and  G-to-F rings are available out there.

Jim
You live, You learn,

paul-f

Quote from: HarrySmith on November 25, 2019, 05:39:44 PM
I seem to recall a spring type thing that snaps around the element I found on a reproduction phone one time but I have no idea if those are available.

Spring clips were used on the T-type elements in DecoTel/ATC Candlestick phones. They made a pile of them, so some may be salvaged from parts sets.

Early sets used a cylindrical contact for the smaller center contact. Later sets used a wire spring -- probably a cost-reduction step.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

Jim Stettler

Quote from: paul-f on November 26, 2019, 11:22:48 AM
Spring clips were used on the T-type elements in DecoTel/ATC Candlestick phones. They made a pile of them, so some may be salvaged from parts sets.

Early sets used a cylindrical contact for the smaller center contact. Later sets used a wire spring -- probably a cost-reduction step.
House of Telephones used to have them. They also had adhesive  foam doughnuts that used  to secure to the elements into old transmitter.
This was when Odis was the owner.
Jim
You live, You learn,

paul-f

Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

HarrySmith

Thanks Paul, those are the ones I was thinking of.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Jim Stettler

House of Telephones sold 1 piece plastic rings to convert G transmitters to F transmitters.
I think the G element would fit in either side, 1 side made it into  an F element, the other side gave you options when converting a phone. Bell may of made  some of the 1 piece rings as well, I found a handful of clear rings in a box of phone junk.
I assumed these were from  5302 conversions.  The new ones from "HOT" were brown.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I had a handful of the wire springs, adapter rings and, 2 piece doughnuts (these came with the "holes"). The doughnuts are made of foam and adhesive on both sides. Sometimes the holes are included.

I experimented with fitting them into various handsets, transmitters and receivers. Trimline elements  can  be used in some  conversions as well.

Jim
It was 25-30 years ago that I was experimenting with converting phones.  I was looking for options for when old parts weren't available anymore (this was before eBay was a big thing).
You live, You learn,

Babybearjs

of I remember correctly, old phoneworks has the ring adapters too... its been years since I ever needed them, but OPW should still have them.
John

HarrySmith

Cool. Thanks guys! I knew I would get answers here! Now I know what I can do and how to do it.  I am adding a custom color 302 to my project list. I will post it when it happens.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"