News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

How to use a CB phone to LB exchange?

Started by dsk, March 23, 2019, 04:12:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dsk

Is it a way to make a box with a sicuit between the CB phone jack and the magneto exchange?
I guess the answer may be YES, so the next question is how I should make it.

I understand the box has to contain some battery or equal to power the CB-phone, it has to at least give a pulse of
40-100 V to the LB exchange when the LB phone is going off hook, or the dial is used. It has to let the AC ringing from the exchange pass trough to ring the telephone, and ofcourse the voice signal should pass trough without making problems.

So far my best Idea is a line transformer letting trough both ringing and voice signals, a battery and relay in series, and charged capacitor discharged on the exchange side of the transformer when going off hook.

Then a ring off signal will be to go on-hook for a second to charge the capacitor, and going off hook to give the pulse, then hang up.

dsk

RB

DSK
Here is the schematic I used for my conversion.
I used a regular switchboard isolation coil though.
Colin made an earlier version, If I FIND IT, I WILL SEND IT TO YOU. :)
It shows a ringer mod that can be added.

dsk

Thank you!  I guess my english are not to accurate, I want to convert the oposit way, using a CB telephone on an magneto exchange  ;D

I am always doing things bacwards... it seems so  ;D

dsk

Owain

RB

My life, in those few words DSK!
I believe, a 9 volt with a 2-300 something ohm resistor in line, will bring the cb phone to life.
To my limited knowledge, a LB cord board is not powered, so it is just cords and switches.
Your CB phone would be supplying power to tip and ring, and be met with the ind coil of the operator
when she comes on line. unless the op set is isolated from the board.
you cannot use the dial, the operator had to do that.
You may be able to add a ring switch and a mag to signal the operator.
The operator may be able to call you??? but you would have to have a ring through isolation transformer, or poof.

dsk

Still actual to experiment with this, and I may use the simplest circuit here for speach of with a random CB phone connected to my magneto field exchange, and I may receive calss, the phones rings as they should.

I had this toroidal transformer, and I believe that these are better on wide frequence differences.  It works well on ringing and on voice.

dsk

More difficult to call the oposit way because the CB phone do not have a magnetogenerator.

We may put in a generator in the circuit, e.g. a subset with magneto, but we usually do not have that.

The second way to do it is actually to use the mains for generating a signal, my field exchange is not depending on the correct frequency so 50 or 60 Hz will work well. A short push on the 2 pole switch is enough.

At my setup the field exchange works using .33uF capacitors at 230V   the size may need adjustment depending on the transformer used.