News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Get 3 wire phone to work on 2 wire house?

Started by dc4code, July 09, 2018, 02:22:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RB

copied from the link
The 2 white dial wires should be on R and GN.

dc4code

Quote from: RB on July 09, 2018, 05:06:01 PM
copied from the link
The 2 white dial wires should be on R and GN.

Those arent dial wires.

dc4code

Quote from: dc4code on July 09, 2018, 05:22:09 PM
Those arent dial wires.

I found out where they go and I put them and it's not working...

Looks like I have a bad network...

Doug Rose

Dylan....Make sure you wiring matches the below pic. I doubt it is the network..good luck..Doug

https://images.craigslist.org/00R0R_cR4RGy0bepA_600x450.jpg ( dead link 04-22-21 )
Kidphone

dc4code

Doug Rose

Dylan..When you call the phone, does it ring? Did you try to dial out even though there is no dial tone? Did you try to reseat the elements on the handset. Do you have any other  elements you can swap out? ..Doug
Kidphone

dc4code

Quote from: Doug Rose on July 09, 2018, 08:06:15 PM
Dylan..When you call the phone, does it ring? Did you try to dial out even though there is no dial tone? Did you try to reseat the elements on the handset. Do you have any other  elements you can swap out? ..Doug

tried all of that.

dialing out w/o dialtone doesn't work
I did reseat the reciever and transmitter

also when its off hook the other phones in my house dont say 'line in use' like they should even when I ground start the phone...

weird...

Key2871

To bypass all the switches, connect the tip to RR on the network, the ring to C. If that doesn't get any dial tone then yea it could be a bad network. But remove the white dial leads as well, if those aren't of adjustment you may not hear the tone.
KEN

poplar1

Is the black ringer wire on L1 (with the green line cord wire)?

1. Move the red-slate (gray with red spots) wire from K to A.
2. Connect the solid slate (gray) wire to K.
3. Connect the slate-yellow wire to L2.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

RB

Dylan
You have an open somewhere.
chk the hook switches, and the dial switches.
Try this, put a 9 volt with a 300 ohm resistor in series across L1 and L2 "unplugged from wall"
then take your volt meter, and follow the wires through the phone one at a time till you find your open.

Key2871

Assuming he has a 300 ohm resistor, and a VOM, that would be helpful.
I've found that putting Tip and Ring right to the main terminals is much easier than doing volt, resistance readings. Once it can be verified that the network actually is working as it should.
I agree there must be an open in the circuit somewhere, or it could be bent shunt contacts on the dial. Inhibiting the dial tone from being heard.
KEN

FABphones

I can't help but wanted to say how heartwarming it is to see so many replies brainstorming to try to help solve the problem.

A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

Babybearjs

>:( what in the world are you guys doing??? just follow the SCHEMATIC! go to the TCI library and download the BSP for the phone.... quit fooling around with 9 volt batteries and such.... pull the phone completely apart and rewire it according to the schematic! then test it....
John

HarrySmith

Quote from: dc4code on July 09, 2018, 04:55:16 PM
Ok so far I wired it as the diagram shows.

However I have 2 wires that aren't in the diagram and I have NO idea where they go ( I disconnected ALL the wires and did the diagram)

Already done!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Babybearjs

gotcha! thanks.... hope he gets it working....
John