"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

My First Auction Listing.

Started by Dan/Panther, April 15, 2009, 07:53:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AET

Quote from: Dan on April 16, 2009, 09:08:09 PM
I love how you stated Lucy used different phones! You are a trailblazer, trying to wipe this Lucy phone nonsense from the face of the earth!

I saw a 302 on "Leave it to Beaver", but a "Beaverphone" is just a little to graphic to me  ;D

On "Leave it to beaver" today, I noticed that they had a 302 in the hall between Beaver and Wally's room and June and Ward's room.  I know in some episodes they even have a 302 in Beav's and Wally's bedroom, talk about unrealistic!  And of course, they have the white 500 in the living room area.
- Tom

Dan/Panther

Dan;
I even went as far as to change it to exactly what you said, but then put it right back because I thought it might send the wrong message.
Should I put it back with reserve ?
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Dan

I would say either way is good,  a low opening bid and a reserve will cover your expenses and bring out the cheapskates like me (or others that would keep an eye on it to see if it finally is bid up meet your reserve), where as opening the bids @ $49 would make people watch the auction and HOLD BACK on bidding until someone else bids the $49 and it goes up from there. 

I feel you may get a little more action opening the bid @ 9.99 and making sure your reserve is set. I for one , LOVE the buy it now that is added to auctions. You look at it, think, well it is worth $125 to buy now and not hassle with Waiting, waiting, sniping and finally getting beat out at the last minute.

I have bought a few phones that were but it nows because there is less time and waiting involved and I can justify paying a little more to avoid the overall hassles with auctions.

I really confused you here, didn't I?
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

Dan/Panther

Dan;
I see completely what you are talking about.
My concern is auctions like that 1973 blue phone. If I put a BIN price of say $150.00, and someone out there is obviously willing to go $220.00 on the 73 blue 500, which everyone agrees is not worth that kind of money, however several people thought it was ? Mine isn't either. I sure would hate to sell myself short, or go the other way and put an outrageous price that will scare everyone away. I really don't know what the phone should go for, and I can't rely on Oldphoneworks prices, as they sell a phone like mine for $229.00,  of course it has the metal case, but the 5H dial is going for $75.00 by itslf.
So who knows, someone could buy the phone just for its parts.
D/P

Dan

Congrats, you got a bid. I may start selling a few of mine through Ebay later
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

Dan/Panther

What a coincidence, his feedback rating is 302....
D/P
It's an OMEN... ::)

Dan/Panther

Wouldn't you know it the second bidder has 2 feedback.
D/P

Dan/Panther

If the person with 2 feedback is a forum member, please contact me via PM right away.
D/P

Dennis Markham

Dan, A couple of last second hits and you did alright on this 302.  I was hoping for another hit but not bad.  Congratulations!

Dan/Panther

Dennis;
I hope to do better next time. I need to figure out how finlover does it ?
D/P

AET

You did alright D/P.  glad to see you got almost 100 bucks for it!
- Tom

Dan/Panther

To be honest, when a blue 73 phone goes for over twice what mine did, and in my mind it looks as good as the blue one. I'm very disappointed.

D/P

Dan

I honestly don't know how "fin" does so well. He's got a new red one listed, he starts them all @59 bucks, and it isn't even soft plastic. There are a few more 302's out there so maybe it was a matter of variety and quantity to choose from that kept yours from going higher. Do a search of completed auctions for 302's and you may feel better because yours went for a good price.

McHeath

I get why you are down about how much the 302 brought, you had a lot of work in it and it looked great.  Honestly, I have no idea how finlover does it either, I just watched him land 102 bucks for a white 500, 1959 chassis but mid 60's plastics, and while it was certainly pretty no way do I think it was worth that kind of money.  His red 500 he has now is nice as well, nicer than the white, and I won't be shocked if he gets close to 200 for it.

I don't get it. 

Dan

Mc, I think people read about his history and justify spending more. Kind of like my wife with her Longaberger baskets. They are "just baskets" and a $5 basket from Big lots works just as well, but they're not LONGABERGER. People can justify paying more because others do and leave him great feedback. I bet not one member of our forum or a collector  has paid over 2 ben franklins for a thermoplastic 500, that's for sure.