"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

I have a hunch, just a hunch...

Started by WEBellSystemChristian, February 13, 2014, 09:45:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Bones

The progress is looking good!

I couldn't be much more envious: blue has been my favorite color all my life. I'm a Blues musician. I have absolutely zero Med Blue phones in my collection. :-)

I can't wait to see your results, keep up the good work!

Best regards!
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

Doug Rose

Great job Christian! This will look so cool when completed. Good eye!!! Hang on to those caps, you just never know!....Doug
Kidphone

WEBellSystemChristian

Thanks guys! After awhile of knowing me, you'll realize that anything (and I mean anything) Med blue I will keep. If I someday come across a med blue handset, I'll definitely install it on this phone.
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

TelePlay

WEBellSystemChristian

I bought it from the Dollar Store, just in case people want to know where they can get it.
Christian Petterson

AE40FAN

I wonder if LA totally awesome is like concentrated simple green or purple power.   I've used purple power to remove paint off of AE brass handset bands with great results.  It also removes paint from plastics without damaging the plastics....never tried it on soft plastic though....

TelePlay

Quote from: AE40FAN on February 25, 2014, 11:59:21 AM
I wonder if LA totally awesome is like concentrated simple green or purple power.

The MSDS sheets (ingredient sections posted below) for LA, Simple Green and Purple Power are similar but being proprietary mixtures, different. Some have a few of the same chemicals, each has it's own "special" chemical or two and of course, the concentrations of each are important to the uniqueness of their product, or it's ability to do what is claimed on the label. They all seem to be basic hydroxy mixtures with specialty alcohols added, sort of a mild oven cleaners.

I've found Krud Kutter to be a strong degreaser that works well on kitchen stoves and adjacent cabinets but have not tried it, or any of the other three for paint removal. The MSDS sheet ingredients for Krud Kutter could not be found, seems they are a proprietary protected mixture of chemicals.

RotarDad

Hey Christian,  You can't keep us hanging on your M-blue two-tone build...... ;)   Looking forward to an update!!!!
Paul

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: RotarDad on March 01, 2014, 01:30:10 PM
Hey Christian,  You can't keep us hanging on your M-blue two-tone build...... ;)   Looking forward to an update!!!!

Yeah, I should get an update going again! Not much has happened with it, because I've been busy with other things phone related. I should soak it tonight and see how far I can get with paint removal.
Christian Petterson

WEBellSystemChristian

For the last few weeks, I've been trying to remove more paint, but to no avail. Apparently, the solution lost it's effect, like a soda losing it's fizziness. I bought more at the dollar store today, so I might see results by tonight.
Christian Petterson

WEBellSystemChristian

Today, I focused on restoring my Med blue, and successfully finished removing all paint, using 150 grit sandpaper. Tomorrow I will follow with 400, then 2000, then polish. Pictures to follow tonight or tomorrow.
Christian Petterson

WEBellSystemChristian

After trial and error, success and failure, procrastination and getting-the-job-done, here are the results. Every visible square inch of plastic has been sanded and polished throughly. I made sure that every dated part on this phone is 1956, including a "Liberty" card similar to my other Med blue 500, but this phone with a black surround.

I hope you guys like the results. :)
Christian Petterson

Mr. Bones

Quite stunning! 8), all your hard work obviously paid off! Colour me envious, Good Sir! More pics, if you please... ;D

Best regards!
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

WEBellSystemChristian

Christian Petterson

WesternElectricBen

Looks nice, I'd like to see how it plays into your display.

Ben