News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

I'm bored, so I'll show pictures... 'twocvbloke'

Started by twocvbloke, February 27, 2012, 12:19:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

twocvbloke

Last night I was just having a shufty about with my stuff, and put all my phones together, and seeing how they were sat there waiting for relocating, I thought I'd grab a couple of pictures... :D

First pic, WE500 C/D, GPO746F, WE500 DM, NT2500D, and that ProTelX POS... :D

2nd pic, Nortel M7310N, BT Viscount 9601AR, BT Studio Cordless (ironically my longest-owned phone!!), BT Viscount 9531R speakerphone... ;D

The only phones not pictured are my red Viscount (basic model, forgot which model no. it is), my linesman phones, the field telephones and the Motorola cordless... :)

canuckphoneguy

Nice collection!! I like the red one especially. Funny, I was thinking of doing the same thing last night too. I'll post some pictures soon of my phones. (I'm getting a 302 and an AE 50 this week so I'll wait till they arrive.)

twocvbloke

Thanks, the red WE500 is Tenite, and is still a Work-in-progress, I just haven't got round to buying the fine sandpaper to clean up the area round where it has a crack I repaired... :)

As documented here:
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=6039.0

I'm just awaiting a red Cortelco 2554 arriving, though that'll be a working phone rather than a sit & look pretty collection phone... :)

McHeath

Nice collection!  You can really see how the makers of the ProTelX were confused on the subject of what they were copying.  It's overall a WE500, but the dial is pure GPO 700 series. 

twocvbloke

It's the same with the Steepletone, it doesn't know what it is, at least not in English... :D

Anyway, I was doing box shuffling yesterday to free up my desk (still have boxes everywhere from moving in November), so I laid out three of the phones on the desk, cos I could, mostly... :D

Dunno why the 746 is looking extra-green in the picture though... ???

AE_Collector

Quote from: twocvbloke on March 10, 2012, 09:47:18 PM
Dunno why the 746 is looking extra-green in the picture though... ???

Having to compete with the computer monitor above it?

Terry

twocvbloke

hehe, LED throwies isn't usually that bright, it was the camera over-exposing it... :P

dpaynter1066

really Nice phones!  Say,  are British phones markedly different from American phones or is it mostly just cosmetic differences? 

I ask because I know you fellows are still clinging to that metric system instead of the useful English system of measurement we use and are so fond of in America.  And so would not be surprised at all if you did things differently there.

twocvbloke

British phones and US phones work on the same electrical principles, but they're constructed in a completely different way, there's a comparison of the 706 Mk1 & Mk2, the WE500 and the AE80 here:

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=804.0

The 746 like mine is basically the same as the Mk2 706, but with some refinements to the design internally and externally... :)

dpaynter1066

Interesting, so are the phones on the continent each and every one different as well?
I can imagine the french wouldnt want to do things our way, while the LM Ericsson and dutch PTT Ericofon phones both  seem to be plug and play here unless those are export models or I am misinformed.

twocvbloke

Seems that way, though some countries that were part of the British empire often used our phones and the phone exchange systems, so there are some that share similarities... :)

Though the Irish republic used Northern Electric phones on their phone lines, wired in a similar manner to the GPO system, but using Canadian-built phones, so that's how some 500s and 2500s (including mine) got here across the pond... :)

As for Ericsson phones, they made phones for everyone, so, they were bound to be universal, there was even a British Ericsson factory at one point... :D

twocvbloke

Managed to snap a picture of the "missing" BT Viscount, the one non-cordless phone I've had the longest as I bought it in November 2003 (only know that cos I looked at my ebay feedback, knowing the seller's username as it's printed on a label in the base)... :D

It's a nice Red 9511AR pulse-dial model, and it's a somewhat sentimental phone as the mother had an identical one for as long as I can remember, up until about 5 or 6 years ago when her ex threw it out because it wasn't his (probably cos he had one that he broke, and accused all Viscounts of being rubbish, which they aren't, and this from a former BT guy, not that he was good at the job!!), so this one has taken it's place cos it's just a nice phone to have, and as it's red, which are getting expensive now, it's got some value to it... :)

I don't get to see it that often seeing how it hides in the mother's bedroom, so it's nice to get to see it now and then... :)

George Knighton

Quote from: twocvbloke on May 06, 2012, 09:16:11 AM
...accused all Viscounts of being rubbish, which they aren't....

In his defence, the only viscount I know is pretty much political rubbish.
Annoying new poster.

twocvbloke

Quote from: George Knighton on December 21, 2012, 09:10:09 AMIn his defence, the only viscount I know is pretty much political rubbish.

There's another viscount to add to the party, the yummy minty chocolate biscuit Viscount... :D

dpaynter1066