News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

CTC 2500 won't dial out if another extension...

Started by deedubya3800, May 28, 2011, 02:14:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

deedubya3800

Maybe this is normal operation, but it seems like a problem to me: My 2005 Cortelco 2500 (not part of my collection, just a spare phone I keep in the house) won't dial out if another extension is off the hook. The keypad just makes no tones at all. Weird. The only function I can see that serving is the prevention of dialling numbers into someone's ear who's already using the line, which my mom was always bad about doing. (Guess she should've had a "Wait for Dial Tone" card on her phone!)

Not that I'm worried about it, since I only occasionally even use that phone, but I've never encountered that before.

bingster

That's weird.  I remember as a kid we could key a number on the TT pad when another phone was off hook with no problem.  But those were Bell phones, of course.
= DARRIN =

Owain

the tone generator in the phone appears to be sensitive to low line voltage. Maybe the other phone(s) load the line excessively.

paul-f

Something puzzles me about this sentence:

Quote from: deedubya3800 on May 28, 2011, 02:14:17 AM
My 2005 Cortelco 2500 (not part of my collection, just a spare phone I keep in the house)

1. You are a phone collector.
2. You keep the Cortelco 2500 in your house.

How is it then that the phone is not part of your collection?   ???

Is this an accounting issue, is there some nuance that escapes me, or are you in denial - not admitting the severity of your phone collecting addiction?    :o

Just curious.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

HarrySmith

Sounds like denial to me ;D

Mabe the TT Cortelco is too new, so he does not consider it "part of my colllection". I have 2 phones in the house, desk speakerphone in the office and cordless crap in the kitchen. These are everyday users but I would not consider them "Part of my collection".
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Adam

Quote from: paul-f on May 28, 2011, 08:51:37 AM

Let's say you collect stamps.  You also have a book of 44c stamps in your desk for mailing letters.  Are those stamps "in your collection"?
Adam Forrest
Los Angeles Telephone - A proud part of the global C*Net System
C*Net 1-383-4820

Wallphone

That denial was funny. It's like Oh No, she's not my girlfriend, she's just a friend. I have a GE speakerphone that I used to use when I had a land line that seemed to block all the other phones in the house. And no, the GE phone wasn't part of my collection, I only used it when I was calling some place where I knew they were going to put me on "ignore". That way I could turn on the speaker and wait for them to come back.
Doug Pav

MDK

Hmmm... like the sticker on my cell phone that says, "My other phone is a WE 201"??

deedubya3800

You people are crazy! :D

Quote from: Owain on May 28, 2011, 07:38:49 AM
the tone generator in the phone appears to be sensitive to low line voltage. Maybe the other phone(s) load the line excessively.

All the other phones on my line right now are 300-series types. I have other 500-types I should hook up and try. Also, my grandmother-in-law has a 2001 Cortelco 2500 that I can bring over here and test.

Adam

I just re-read this thread again and it made me wonder:

Under what circumstances would you want or need to be able to generate touch tones with the phone during a phone call while another phone is off the hook on the same line?

Do you normally have someone listening on an extension while you're checking your bank balance or retrieving your voice mail?  I normally don't...
Adam Forrest
Los Angeles Telephone - A proud part of the global C*Net System
C*Net 1-383-4820

deedubya3800

Quote from: Adam on May 28, 2011, 09:32:54 AM

Let's say you collect stamps.  You also have a book of 44¢ stamps in your desk for mailing letters.  Are those stamps "in your collection"?

Exactly! Or like a coin collector who happens to have some change in his pocket!

Quote from: Adam on May 28, 2011, 08:06:04 PM
I just re-read this thread again and it made me wonder:

Under what circumstances would you want or need to be able to generate touch tones with the phone during a phone call while another phone is off the hook on the same line?

Do you normally have someone listening on an extension while you're checking your bank balance or retrieving your voice mail?  I normally don't...

Hmm, that's a good question. The answer is, I can't think of any, and, no.

I guess this is really a non-issue, then. Thanks for eliminating my problem! Keeps me from having to try to solve it. :)

paul-f

Quote from: deedubya3800 on May 28, 2011, 08:15:43 PM

Let's say you collect stamps.  You also have a book of 44¢ stamps in your desk for mailing letters.  Are those stamps "in your collection"?

Exactly! Or like a coin collector who happens to have some change in his pocket!

You may get away with it.  I just know that when I tell my family that "those phones over there aren't part of my collection" they aren't buying any of it!

One reason they may have disabled the tone pad when a call is in progress might be to stop folks from serenading each other playing music using the tones...

http://www.google.com/search?q=songs+on+touch+tone+phone
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

deedubya3800

Quote from: paul-f on May 28, 2011, 10:44:20 PM
Quote from: deedubya3800 on May 28, 2011, 08:15:43 PM

You may get away with it.  I just know that when I tell my family that "those phones over there aren't part of my collection" they aren't buying any of it!

One reason they may have disabled the tone pad when a call is in progress might be to stop folks from serenading each other playing music using the tones...

http://www.google.com/search?q=songs+on+touch+tone+phone
]

I like the keypads that will just play one note of the DTMF if you hold two keys in the same column or row. :)

Owain

Quote from: Adam on May 28, 2011, 08:06:04 PM

You might be using one (old, loop-disconnect) phone to listen/speak and the newer phone as a tone dialler.