News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

The problems with early BT hardware....

Started by twocvbloke, February 02, 2012, 07:26:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

twocvbloke

This is more relating to my BT 286A linesman phone really, but could apply to other 80's BT-branded hardware aswell as some other BT systemphones...

Back in the day, they wanted their own modular socket, which became known as "The BT Plug", but, there were 4 versions of them, the 4-contact 430 and 431, and the 6-contact 630 and 631...

The 431 has the clip on the right of the plug (looking at it with the contacts facing up), and the 430 on the left, the 430 is the one that's a problem, as it is pretty much NLA having been superseded by the RJ10 plugs for handsets and the 431 plugs for lines, which means that if you have phones with handsets or system phone cords that need the 430 version, and it's clip falls off, you're burgered... :(

And that's precisely the problem I have with my 286A, the clip has been snapped for some time, but had just enough plastic to hold it in place, but today, it finally gave up and broke off, I'm having a go at sticking it back on with superglue, but don't hold out much hope for success... :(

I just have to decide what to do, replace the socket with something that is more universal today (such as an RJ10 handset socket, or a regular BT 431-type socket pulled from an ADSL filter), or, just leave it be and hope the superglue works... ???

Why couldn't BT just use RJ10, 11 and 12 plugs from the outset eh?  :D

Edited to add the following pic:

Owain

twocvbloke

Well of course they'd be listed without their proper BT item code, making it impossible to find.....  ::)

I don't know, I've spent the best part of a year (well, on and off) looking for them, and there they are... :-\

Still, last time I tried buying from RS, they demanded a credit card, which I don't (and won't) have, so I'd still be stuck without... :D

gpo706

2cv, get a mate with a credit card to order them and give the money to them upfront.

Simples!

I didn't even know you could get these pesky plugs new, so the link is handy, the only use I have seen for them is linesmans handset plugs.

BTW these lugged plugs are a damned nuisance, if you have a wiring loom (joke) like mine the bloody lugs catch on every cable and distort or snap when trying to extract them...

"now this should take five minutes, where's me screwdriver went now..?"

twocvbloke

As daft as it sounds, I don't know anyone who has a credit card, they're horrid things that generate too much temptation (yeah, I've had two in the past, been bitten hard by them and am paying for it, literally, now!!!).... :o

Still, the plug on my 286A linesman has taken well to the superglue, so I have sorted that out, for now... :)

I forget which phone system it was, but BT used these plugs for the system phones so you didn't plug in a standard phone and muck up the PBX hardware, and on some BT phones, thy had them as the handset plug before they gave in and went to using RJ10s... :)

gpo706

I recall now why they have the latches on the plugs, It will sit in your socket and work ok without them but if you extend the handset to any extent it will fly out and possibly take an eye out, or leave a 430 print on the forehead.

So you go to Maplins, point at your injury and say "one of these please".

I don't have half as much trouble with RJ plugs.

"now this should take five minutes, where's me screwdriver went now..?"

twocvbloke

Yeah, that's one of the downsides to coiled handset cables with plugs on the ends... :D

Owain

Quote from: twocvbloke on February 03, 2012, 12:55:10 PM
I forget which phone system it was, but BT used these plugs for the system phones so you didn't plug in a standard phone and muck up the PBX hardware, and on some BT phones, thy had them as the handset plug before they gave in and went to using RJ10s... :)

Ambassador phones have them as handset plugs internally.

They were used as handset plugs on some switchboards, I think ISDx. I have Plantronics headsets from the 1980s with both Plug 430 and Plug 420 on.

IIRC BT Octara keyphones used them, and possibly also Philips SOPHO. The correspondong wall LJUs may be like finding rocking horse poo now.

RS do accept debit cards, or you could get a prepaid payment 'credit' card.

twocvbloke

Quote from: Owain on February 03, 2012, 02:22:17 PMRS do accept debit cards, or you could get a prepaid payment 'credit' card.

They wouldn't accept my Visa Debit when I last tried buying from them, their checkout page pretty much just said credit cards or call us, and I didn't want to call them up cos I have anxiety issues with speaking to people on the phone... :-\
(which makes it all the more strange that I actually collect phones!!! :D )

And Prepay credit cards, I have looked into them, but, the cost of using them kind of puts me off... :(

Adam

Quote from: twocvbloke on February 03, 2012, 02:55:05 PM
I didn't want to call them up cos I have anxiety issues with speaking to people on the phone... :-\

I won't mention any names, but that's not uncommon.
Adam Forrest
Los Angeles Telephone - A proud part of the global C*Net System
C*Net 1-383-4820

Owain

Quote from: Adam on February 03, 2012, 03:15:14 PM
Quote from: twocvbloke on February 03, 2012, 02:55:05 PM
I didn't want to call them up cos I have anxiety issues with speaking to people on the phone... :-\

I won't mention any names, but that's not uncommon.

Surely you're not suggesting that telephone collectors are really train-spotters who don't like going out much?

twocvbloke

It's hard to spot trains when they keep cancelling them cos of a leaf landing on a line... :D