News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

WE 5302 with black pushbutton wired to L2 and G, what is it for?

Started by RotoTech99, August 09, 2015, 04:39:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RotoTech99

Dear Forum:

I have a WE 5302 with a black pushbutton on the left front corner wired to L2 and G internally... The coil and capacitor are typical of a standard 5302. The other internal wiring is like a standard 5302 set. The dial is a WE 6A dial.

The number card indicated it was an extension; but I don't know if it was from a PBX, or 1A1, or 1A2 system.

The number on the set was WOoodbury (690) -1112, Area Code 615, Extension 112.  The area code is north central Tennessee  by best guess.

If any member can tell me what the button is for please, it would be greatly appreciated.

I am unable to provide photos at this point, but will attempt to do so later.

Thank You,
RotoTech99

unbeldi

Well, if the button is indeed wired between L2 and G(round), the chances are that it served the purpose of some kind of custom signaling to a PBX/KTS.  In Europe, this was a fairly standard feature on PBX systems, and the button was called "Earth button", or similar.   The PBX recognized the ground flash of the line to active a service.

I presume this button is a not a WECo feature?  Or this is actually not a 5302, but a 5410?

RotoTech99

Dear Unibeldi:

I think you might be right about it being a 5410... I'll look it up in the TCI Library,a nd see what I find there...

unbeldi

All the 5300/5400 sets I have seen, I believe, are stamped on the bottom with the model number, and usually also a date, because they were converted in the refurbishing shops.

G-Man

Without a photo to verify whether it is standard WECo key-switch or not is pure speculation. As unbeldi has already suggested, at least relay whatever markings are shown on the base of the set.

Also, does the button/key turn, and is it stamped 559C?

G-Man

Does your set look like the 5400-type shown in this photo?

RotoTech99

Dear G-Man:

I did not see a "559C" number on the switch, and it is a black pushbutton.

I am guessing it was a modification by the Telephone Co, serving the 615 Area Code in Tennessee.

As we speak "per se" I am attempting to track the WOoodbury 0-1112 number origin.

Also the set has a Northern Electric G1 handset, and the housing is marked "Western Electric", not Bell System made by Western Electric,
So I believe it was from an Independent Tel. Co.  that purchased WE equipment.

RotoTech99

It looks like the 5300 pictured, with the exception of the pushbutton.

G-Man

Quote from: RotoTech99 on August 09, 2015, 08:17:38 PM
It looks like the 5300 pictured, with the exception of the pushbutton.

The (615) 690 exchange is now assigned to a CLEC, NuVox Communications and is switched by a WECO 5ESS located in Nashville, TN.

If it is a standard Western Electric key, the number should be stamped on its frame. Does the switch/key/pushbutton look like a standard telco product and once more, does it turn?

G-Man

Please recheck the telephone number on your set. I'm not sure how you came up with 690, and the exchange name most likely was spelled WOodbury instead of WOoodbury. It translates to a five-digit exchange number, (615) 96-1112, which would be unusual since the area code indicates that it was in service by the time all telephone numbers had been converted to seven-digit numbers.
Also, is the "button" flush-mounted like a doorbell pushbutton?

G-Man

Here are two common styles of pushbuttons. Do either resemble the one installed on your set?

RotoTech99

Dear G-Man:

I misread the card, it reads as follows: WOodland-8 (698)-1112. The Area Code is 615, The "DDD" Direct Distance Dialing  Access Code is 112.

My apology, I didn't have my glasses on when I read it.

RotoTech99

My button is similar to the one in your photo, except that on the button on my set, the black button goes all the way down to the top ring.

The ring sits in the hole on the housing, and is secured from below by a nut that threads onto it. It has two screw terminals for the wires, one black, one white that were originally without lugs. I replaced those with lugged wires of the same color and length.

So, I guess it "flush" like a doorbell button, with just the button and ring showing.

G-Man

Quote from: RotoTech99 on August 09, 2015, 10:08:20 PM
Dear G-Man:

I misread the card, it reads as follows: WOodland-8 (698)-1112. The Area Code is 615, The "DDD" Direct Distance Dialing  Access Code is 112.

My apology, I didn't have my glasses on when I read it.

Still not sure how you come up with the 3-digit prefix since WOoland 8- translates to 968.

The one-thousand block of numbers for (615) 968 is now assigned to POWERTEL, a PCS licensee.

Perhaps popular1 can find where it was assigned previous to the area code split.   

RotoTech99

Dear G-Man:

]I accidentally interposed the "6" and "9" when I was typing it in...