News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

K6 & other GPO Telephone Boxes

Started by david@london, April 26, 2012, 02:54:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

david@london

........anyone near canterbury, new south wales want a phonebox ?

AE_Collector

Only £2,450.00 each and they have "more than 10 available". I wonder if I can save some money on shipping if I buy in quantity?

Terry

Fully Restored British Red K6 Telephone Box

Shipped woldwide, including USA, Russia, Austraia

More than 10 available   Price:£2,450.00

Phonesrfun

Quote from: david@london on November 21, 2012, 08:04:49 PM
what is the shipping cost to melbourne for one of these ?

Do they float?
-Bill G

david@london

bill............ if yr thinking of taking one on a round the world cruise............. they weigh approx a ton and don't really float, no.

Phonesrfun

Gee,  I thought you could get one to Melbourne like putting a note in a bottle and having it arrive there some day. 

On a related note, I hear there is a bid debris field a few hundred miles in width due to arrive soon on the West Coast of the US from the Japan earthquake.  Probably just Coke bottles and no phones.

-Bill G

david@london

the bbc had a feature on radio 4 , about an entire japanese wooden dock which washed up somewhere near san francisco ... complete with attached sea-creatures ?

AE_Collector

Debris doesn't respect borders either. Already lots of it showing up on the West Coast of British Columbia. There could be phones, we already had a Harley Davidson Motor Cycle wash up on our shore!

Terry

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/article/1171551--harley-washed-up-on-b-c-shore-to-be-returned-to-japanese-owner

A Japanese man is to be reunited with his beloved Harley-Davidson motorcycle found washed up on the B.C. coast last month.

Harley from Japan washes up on B.C. shore

The "hog," still bearing a Japanese licence plate, was discovered by beachcomber Peter Mark while riding his ATV in Naikoon Provincial Park. The container, washed away by the deadly tsunami more than a year ago, was carried by the Pacific Ocean currents some 5,000 km with the motorcycle still inside.

Ikuo Yokohama, a 29-year-old resident of the town of Yamamoto, in Miyagi Prefecture, was tracked down by a Harley-Davidson representative in Japan who saw the story first reported by CBC News.

A spokesperson for Milwaukee-based Harley Davidson told CBC News they are now hoping to pay for the return of the bike to Yokohama, who lost three family members and his home in the devastating tsunami caused by a massive earthquake off Japan in March 2011. He is still living in temporary accommodations.

Yokohama told Japanese television station NHK the discovery of the motorcycle was miraculous and he wished to thank the B.C. man who found it personally, but so far he has only been able to do so via TV.

When asked what he would like to say to his Harley, Yokoyama laughed and said in Japanese, "Thanks for coming back, buddy."

twocvbloke

Quote from: david@london on November 21, 2012, 07:30:23 PM
........anyone near canterbury, new south wales want a phonebox ?

http://tinyurl.com/c44qpz4

Bit pricey for something you can pick up for less than a grand and have completely restored for still less than their asking price.... ???

david@london

is this the original k2 ?

"Next time you drop past the Royal Academy for an exhibition ...... spare more than a cursory glance at the two red telephone boxes in the entranceway, for these are the original red telephone boxes. The wooden box on the western side is Sir Giles Gilbert Scott's 1924 winning entry in a competition held by the General Post Office to design a new phone box.
The one on the eastern side is one of the first cast iron boxes to be created from this design. This style became known as K2 – Kiosk No. 2 (K1 was concrete and originally painted cream, although they have often been re-painted red since).

Scott – an architect perhaps best known as the designer of the Battersea Power Station – originally envisioned that his design would be silver and made from steel, but the bright red colour was thought to be most visible, particularly in emergencies. And the rest is history...Scott was also asked to design another version for the rest of the country, which became the K3. Like many of the old red telephone kiosks, the ones outside the Royal Academy are now listed  – and both are still fully operational today. So yes, you can still drop by and put in a call from the first red telephone box..."

link -  http://thelondonphile.com/tag/k2-phone-box/

david@london

some great pics of old AA* boxes here...............

daily telegraph feature - http://tinyurl.com/cs9flhn

are there any american (AAA) equivalents?

*automobile association

claudioggs

Hi,

I have been living in UK before coming to USA 1.5 year ago.
I been very tempted to buy and bring a K6 box.
The problem was the logistic.
A K6 telephone box weight 750 kg (1650 pounds) (I think without base).

Today, BT (British Telecom) found a way to keep installed the unprofitable K6, they share the maintenance with local municipalities, BT make the phone maintenance and the municipality make the cabin maintenance.
In other cases they give (or may be sell) the K6 to the municipality, disabling the telephone service (anyway nobody use it), and keeping the British symbol, maintained by municipalities.
http://www.payphones.bt.com/adopt_a_kiosk/HTML/payphone/index.htm

Returning to the weight issue, there are new replica version of K6, made in light materials (plastic & aluminium?) weighting around 90 kg (200 pound).
http://www.thephoneybox.com/
Obviously it"s a decoration item, not a collector one.

More information about British telephone boxes in wikipedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_telephone_box

Cheers
Claudio
-------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm an Argentinean collector guy, living in Philly.
I have some old mobiles - Motorola 4500X, Motorola "brick"
old phones - 1930 dial argentinean phone, WE 233G
old jukeboxes - Rowe bubbler, Rock-Ola Max
old wife - Sophie from France :-)

david@london

Quote from: claudioggs on February 04, 2013, 10:26:51 AM
Today, BT (British Telecom) found a way to keep installed the unprofitable K6, they share the maintenance with local municipalities, BT make the phone maintenance and the municipality make the cabin maintenance.
In other cases they give (or may be sell) the K6 to the municipality, disabling the telephone service (anyway nobody use it), and keeping the British symbol, maintained by municipalities.

...........information, maps etc in this box in suffolk. it's in front of the village pub.

Adam

Adam Forrest
Los Angeles Telephone - A proud part of the global C*Net System
C*Net 1-383-4820

david@london

Quote from: Phonesrfun on November 21, 2012, 08:30:58 PM
Gee,  I thought you could get one to Melbourne like putting a note in a bottle and having it arrive there some day.

david@london

i remember the k8s... not white though, like these in kingston-upon-hull. ours were usually oxidised pink.

Kingston upon Hull was the only area of the UK not under the Post Office monopoly, with telephones being under the control of the Corporation of Hull (city council). In Hull and the surrounding area this meant that the telephone boxes were painted cream and had the crown omitted. The Hull telephone system was subsequently privatised and is now operated by Kingston Communications. Kingston Communications (KC) removed many of the famous cream K6 boxes circa 2007. An outraged public complained that they were losing part of their heritage. KC have retained approx 125 K6s in use today. KC allocated limited numbers (approximately 1,000) to be sold to the general public, and many were sold off before they had even been removed from service.