News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

New to this Forum and excited about my AE40 Monophone - AE40FAN!

Started by AE40FAN, June 22, 2011, 09:51:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AE40FAN

Hello Everyone,

My obsession with vintage rotary phones probably started 4 months ago...I have only two phones thus far, both Black AE40's.  The first one I purchased is in VG+ condition with cracking on rubber base as well as, some wear to the metal black bar handle.  Now the second AE40 I believe is the real Gem!!  It is in AMAZING condition!  I don't think it was ever used? Rubber base looks brand new, no wear to the black metal bar handle, and it has a nice original shine(no polishing was done to this phone).  Literally almost it looks like it came right out of the box.  The Problem is the phone plug itself is the old 4 prong plastic square(mint condition no wear whatsoever).  I would like to have that replaced so I can be 100% it works(I'm almost positive it has too!!  I paid 45 dollars for this phone, do you guys think that was a good deal?  How much would it cost for the replacement plug/installation and how much do you think this phone is worth if it works with it being practically mint(still has its shine no fade)?

LarryInMichigan

AE40Fan,

Welcome to the forum, and congratulations on your new old phones.  I think that it is nearly impossible to find a 50+ year old rubber base gasket which is in perfect condition because rubber naturally cracks as it ages.  If your phone is in really great condition, $45 is not a bad price at all.

If you want to keep the four-prong plug, you can easily obtain an adapter with a four-prong socket and a modular connector.  They appear frequently on ebay and can probably be bought from Phoneco and others.  I have two or three which came with phones which I bought.

Larry

Adam

I was gonna say that!  :)

I like keeping my phones as original as possible, including their 4-prong plugs.  So, I keep a few of these around so I can plug these phones easily into modular jacks.
Adam Forrest
Los Angeles Telephone - A proud part of the global C*Net System
C*Net 1-383-4820

AE40FAN

Thanks!  I'll look into that modular connector.  Once I get my digital cam fixed I'll take pics so you all can see how beautiful this phone is!  This phone has the original blank semi gloss black factory cardboard in the center where a dial card should be I removed the ring and now i cant get the darn thing back on! Also, phone came with a small felt booty that covers the plug, wonder if its original to the phone?

Doug Rose

Welcome to the Forum. There are reproduction rubber gaskets to be had for your AE40 on eBay. yes it is a reproduction but they are a really well made reproduction made for a long time collector....Doug
Kidphone

LarryInMichigan

Quote from: AE40FAN on June 22, 2011, 10:56:05 PM
Thanks!  I'll look into that modular connector.  Once I get my digital cam fixed I'll take pics so you all can see how beautiful this phone is!  This phone has the original blank semi gloss black factory cardboard in the center where a dial card should be I removed the ring and now i cant get the darn thing back on! Also, phone came with a small felt booty that covers the plug, wonder if its original to the phone?

Take a look at: http://www.telephonecollectors.info/index.php?option=com_docman&task=doc_details&gid=1921&Itemid=31 for instructions on removing AE dial center rings.

Larry

AE40FAN

Finally, I figured out how to uninstall/install the card retainer rings.  Just purchased a chrome retainer ring(not cheap!) and new dial cards on ebay, going to add a little *bling* to this almost perfect condition AE40.

Babybearjs

Welcome to the forum! your best bet for AE parts is through old phone works. check them out @ www.oldphoneworks.com I have been restoring both AE and WE phones and this is one of the best places to find parts. now, since you have the AE40's, now try getting the AE 50! thats the matching wall phone to your deskset! both are stunning and compliment each other!    John
John

AE40FAN

Probably going to save for a deluxe version AE40 with the chrome trim next...finding one of those in close to mint original condition or restored is at least going to cost me 200-250!  I don't think I will find quite the deal as with my previous purchase. I will post photos as soon as my digicam is working again.