"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

growing up in the 1970s/.500 considered old fashion/2500 considered

Started by southernphoneman, March 26, 2013, 09:33:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

southernphoneman

Quote from: cchaven on April 03, 2013, 09:46:51 PM
I remember 500's and trimlines...and when I was in my teens we had a green SC 500D dated 1966 as an extension phone.  I still have that one...it has an RCA logo dial card in it.  This was in central Illinois and the St. Louis area around 1980.  Not sure where my dad got it, but I'm pretty sure it shouldn't have been hooked up.

Jeff
ypu are both smart and lucky to still have that phone after all these years. cool!

McHeath

Remember the opening of The Rockford Files?  He had a touchtone 2500 and an answering machine!

Tres Cool.

The only place I got to see such fabulous tech was on TV or at friends houses.  My parents were not about to spend the money to have such things.   ;D

southernphoneman

Quote from: McHeath on April 03, 2013, 11:58:56 PM
Remember the opening of The Rockford Files?  He had a touchtone 2500 and an answering machine!

Tres Cool.

The only place I got to see such fabulous tech was on TV or at friends houses.  My parents were not about to spend the money to have such things.   ;D
I remember that,back then answering machines were a luxery and back then everyone would answer the phone and did not even think about screening calls.

cchaven

I don't recall there being a reason to screen calls at that time...but I guess if you had collections agencies and such calling then, like today, you might want to. 

I remember going with my mom to the telphone company on any number of occasions to pay the phone bill and we generally had two telephones in the house..one in the kitchen and one in the Master bedroom.  The one in the kitched was usually a wall-mounted trimline.  One house we lived in had a built in alchove/nook in one of the walls for a telephone.

Jeff

old_stuff_hound

Not to high-jack but reminds me of a story:
QuoteAn old farmer and a young farmer are talking about farm-lore, and the old farmer's phone starts to ring. The old guy just keeps talking about herbicides and hybrids, until the youngster interrupts "Aren't you going to answer that?"

"What fer?" Says the old-timer.

"Why, 'cause it's ringing. Ain't you gonna get it?" asks the younger.

The older farmer sighs and knowingly shakes his head. "Nope". he says. Then he looks the younger in the eye to make sure he understands, "Ya see, I bought that phone for MY convenience."