"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Computer phone server?

Started by WesternElectricBen, March 27, 2013, 12:05:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WesternElectricBen

Hello,

I have a couple old computers laying around and want to use them as a phone server, is it possible? What stuff would I need , a telephone card for hooking up phones and some sort of software. Like a intercom...

If you have a idea or link to anything please feel free to leave below.

Ben

Phonesrfun

Have you thought of C-Net? Much more than an intercom.

https://www.ckts.info/

This system is made just for phone collectors and many here participate.  You don't even need a computer for it.  Just an ATA will do which can be gotten cheaply, and then you can piggy back on someone else's system, but still have your own private number.

If you want just an intercom, a Panasonic 308 or 616 PBX works nicely, or get yourself a shoebox 1A2 system or just a ringdown circuit.
-Bill G

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: Phonesrfun on March 27, 2013, 12:15:28 AM
Have you thought of C-Net? Much more than an intercom.

https://www.ckts.info/

This system is made just for phone collectors and many here participate.  You don't even need a computer for it.  Just an ATA will do which can be gotten cheaply, and then you can piggy back on someone else's system, but still have your own private number.

If you want just an intercom, a Panasonic 308 or 616 PBX works nicely, or get yourself a shoebox 1A2 system or just a ringdown circuit.

I have thought of c-net and hope to set one up sometime soon.

I have thought of a panisonic system but when I already have the computers I wanted to see if I could get any last use of of them. I'l have to save up my pennies for a system.

dsk

You will need ATA's or special cards to interface the telephones. The ATA's gives more flexibility. My best experience so far is the Sisco (Sipura) SPA-3102.

The software needed is free, if you stick to windows, the 3CX free version works fine, but is limited to 4 simultaneous calls.

Better, but slightly more to learn is AsteriskNow, this includes Linux, but you don't need much Linux experience to start with it.

In addition to C*NET you may find other free providers, e.g. sip2sip or callcentric. They are more or less commercial, and wants you to put money in getting this and that extra service. (not needed) 

A combination may be a solution.

dsk

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: dsk on March 27, 2013, 03:21:37 AM
You will need ATA's or special cards to interface the telephones. The ATA's gives more flexibility. My best experience so far is the Sisco (Sipura) SPA-3102.

The software needed is free, if you stick to windows, the 3CX free version works fine, but is limited to 4 simultaneous calls.

Better, but slightly more to learn is AsteriskNow, this includes Linux, but you don't need much Linux experience to start with it.

In addition to C*NET you may find other free providers, e.g. sip2sip or callcentric. They are more or less commercial, and wants you to put money in getting this and that extra service. (not needed) 

A combination may be a solution.

dsk

Ok thank you! I'm going to have to try that out.