News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

ITT Wall Mount Rotary Assist Please!

Started by debeaune, May 22, 2014, 06:51:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

debeaune

Howdy all!  Working on a nice old ITT wall mount rotary phone, have everyhting working but the number plate was loose, kind of floating freely.  So I took the dialer off, removed the little silver catch by 0 and was trying to figure out how to secure this down now.  I noticed this retainer ring was off, is that what holds the number plate in place?  Any guidance on how to secure this plate would be greatly appreciated though I assume its via the loose retainer ring.  Want to be sure I'm headed in the right direction before I ruin something.  Thanks....Tim

poplar1

http://bellsystempractices.org/500-/501-/501-162-101-i05_1967-12-01.pdf

See page 4-5 "Number Plate"...I'm not sure but is it possible that your metal lock ring is upside down? See Fig. 8. It has to rotate clockwise to lock underneath the tabs on the dial.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

jsowers

There are three metal forks that stick up above the surface of the dial face. You can see one near the dot that corresponds to the "0" (zero) on the dial. The circular retainer ring has "tongues" that slide into those metal fork "grooves."

You push the tongues into the forks clockwise with a screwdriver little by little until the dial face is on tight. I usually get one in and then another and then the last one. I think David is correct in that you need to turn the ring upside down from the way it's shown in your picture.

Good luck!
Jonathan

debeaune

Thanks guys, appreciate the input, yes, easy as pie.  Wanted to be sure, nice phone, hate to make a stupid mistake.  Take care, enjoy the weekend.