News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

OLD WANTED -- Looking for early AE80 "Forget Me Not Blue" (light blue) body

Started by Partyline4, March 24, 2015, 10:49:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Partyline4

My great grandfather had an old AE80 from 1964 until his death in 2008.

Being stored out in the garage for a decade or more, I wasn't surprised when a piece of the body broke one day when removing it from the base.

To clarify, this is the earlier body style that has the handset cord going out the back. My great grandfather's has the chrome plungers and the whole deal.

The newer style bodies say AUTOMATIC ELECTRIC on the top between the plungers.

My great grandfathers just has the diamond symbol with AE in it.

The body weighs just at 9.5 Oz. with the plungers put back on it. Newer bodies weigh 7.1 Oz. 

I am currently scanning the market looking for one in very good shape.

The eBay results are pretty ragged and not up to par.

If anyone has one they'd like to part with,

Let me know!

Thanks!

JorgeAmely

Jorge

Greg G.

I have the opposite problem, a body but missing the dial bezel.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

JorgeAmely

Quote from: Brinybay on March 25, 2015, 12:03:04 PM
I have one too, but two of the three supports are broken.
Jorge

Partyline4

Quote from: JorgeAmely on March 25, 2015, 06:31:56 PM
Quote from: Brinybay on March 25, 2015, 12:03:04 PM
I have one too, but two of the three supports are broken.

You mean the little tabs on the bottom of the casing?

They always break!

JorgeAmely

Jorge

JorgeAmely

These are the parts I have available. I have to disclose that the housing was painted at the factory.
Jorge

AE_Collector

Quote from: Partyline4 on March 25, 2015, 10:54:43 PM

They always break!

Looks like Jorge is referring to the dial number plate that has two of three mounting points broken. When the side is broken out of the screw holes these can usually still be attached to the dial by the three screws. The screws lock it in place anyway. I am not sure if this one that Jorge has might need a bit more creativity (washers on the screws?) to install on a dial. Once in place and the housing is installed, there really aren't any forces that would make it want to fall off or move.

Partyline4, you are looking for just the plastic main housing to restore the phone you have that was your grandfathers? Is that the broken housing in your first post? If so, where is the break?

This color (like Gray, right Jorge!) is very difficult to find in non discoloured condition. Are you looking for one ready to go or one that can be sanded or bleached back to the proper colour?

Oh, for clarification...the colour being discussed is AE - Forget Me Not Blue. Turquoise is a different AE colour. I adjusted the title of this post a little bit.

Terry

compubit

Taking apart my first AE80 dial just minutes ago, it seems that one screw and the finger stop being in place should hold the bezel in place.

Now to clean a slow dial - time to search the forum!

Jim
A phone phanatic since I was less than 2 (thanks to Fisher Price); collector since a teenager; now able to afford to play!
Favorite Phone: Western Electric Trimline - it just feels right holding it up to my face!

compubit

Actually, contact cleaner, a couple of turns of the mechanism, and it's working like clockwork.  Just need to get some oil and an air duster and I'm good to go.  Also did an AE154 dial from a Styleline, originally with an even slower dial.  Both turn perfectly now. (Plus I cleaned the acrylic dial, and polished the number bezel and dial cap - not quite new, but pretty close)

One day I'll take one apart, but need some small screwdrivers and a decent workspace (dining room table doesn't quite cut it!). Basement reconfiguration may be in the works for tomorrow...

Jim
A phone phanatic since I was less than 2 (thanks to Fisher Price); collector since a teenager; now able to afford to play!
Favorite Phone: Western Electric Trimline - it just feels right holding it up to my face!

Partyline4

Quote from: JorgeAmely on March 26, 2015, 10:59:56 PM
These are the parts I have available. I have to disclose that the housing was painted at the factory.

Is the inside a different color?

I appreciate the pics!

Partyline4

Quote from: AE_Collector on March 27, 2015, 01:03:03 PM
Quote from: Partyline4 on March 25, 2015, 10:54:43 PM

They always break!

Looks like Jorge is referring to the dial number plate that has two of three mounting points broken. When the side is broken out of the screw holes these can usually still be attached to the dial by the three screws. The screws lock it in place anyway. I am not sure if this one that Jorge has might need a bit more creativity (washers on the screws?) to install on a dial. Once in place and the housing is installed, there really aren't any forces that would make it want to fall off or move.

Partyline4, you are looking for just the plastic main housing to restore the phone you have that was your grandfathers? Is that the broken housing in your first post? If so, where is the break?

This color (like Gray, right Jorge!) is very difficult to find in non discoloured condition. Are you looking for one ready to go or one that can be sanded or bleached back to the proper colour?

Oh, for clarification...the colour being discussed is AE - Forget Me Not Blue. Turquoise is a different AE colour. I adjusted the title of this post a little bit.

Terry

Thank you so much collector!

The break is not pictured, and is in the front near the frontal base screw.

I glued it back and tried to use elmers glue and some dust from sanding the phone to make a paste that would conceal the crack.

It didn't work so well and I was left with an obvious fault.

All I really would want is the body.