News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Zenith Short Wave Radio

Started by HarrySmith, September 17, 2010, 09:17:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HarrySmith

I know some of you guys are into radios so I wanted to share about one I picked up at auction last night. It is a Zenith Trans-Oceanic Portable Model G500 Chassis 5G-40. "Zenith The Royalty Of Radio".  I know nothing about radios and do not collect them, I just thought it was very cool looking. After a quick Google search I guess I scored a very cool, rare radio! I found it was only made for 18 months from 1949 - 1951 and is considered the "bridge" between 1940 & 1950 style radios. I will get some pictures up here tonight. It also came with the original operating guide which is pretty cool too. The only thing it does not have is the battery pack! I was thinking I paid too much but from what I just found it looks like I got a good deal!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

KeithB

Great find, harry!!  I'm familiar with the larger rectangular Zenith world radios built in the 60s and 70s, and they were outwardly very similar to the 50s models, I believe.   Look in Bwanna's radio thread and someone (Dennis?) pointed out a possible battery supplier.

HarrySmith

Thanks Keith, but I don't think I will be looking for one, I do not intend to start collecting radios :P
I will probably just clean it up a bit and offer it on eBay :)
I got it because it looks cool ;D
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

KeithB

Can you share a picture? (pretty please??)

HarrySmith

Yes, by all means! I will get some up either tonight or tomorrow. I am at work and it is at home.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Dan/Panther

Harry;
The T.O is one of my favorites and I think the second radio I ever restored. They are a ball to play with.
Mine is the Model H500 1952.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Dan/Panther

Harry;
BTW, "I'll just clean it up and sell it on Ebay....Yeah Right !
D/P

HarrySmith

Nice ;D
That looks almost exactly like the one I got ;D
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

bingster

Beautiful T-O, Dan.  Did you recover it, or is that the original stag?

Harry, the Trans-Oceanic is one of the most beloved radios in all radio collecting. Most of them don't bring the gonzo bucks that a lot of other collectible radios do, but the over-the-top cool factor makes them all highly prized and an absolute joy to own.  But beware... I've had four Trans-Oceanics, and like telephones, they can be very addictive. 

Here's a little gallery of each of the main types in the range:

http://www.antiqueradio.org/transoceanics.htm
= DARRIN =

bwanna

keith that was bill w/the info. here's a link to the thread.

http://tinyurl.com/2ccjj9l

"i'll just clean it up......"   uh-huh...reference my thread for that statement as well.. ;)

d/p...lovely work as always.. :)
donna

jsowers

http://www.antiqueradio.org/zen32.htm

Here's a link to an interesting story about a Trans-Oceanic that Phil Nelson found a few years ago. It actually belonged to actress Joan Fontaine at one time and he corresponded with her about it. Miss Fontaine is in her 90s and lives in Carmel, CA. Her stylish handwriting in the note she wrote Phil is exactly like her handwriting on a note in the 1941 Hitchcock movie Suspicion where she thinks her husband (Cary Grant) is out to kill her.

I'm an old movie nut and an old radio nut and I thought this was a great find and a fascinating story. He posted it in the radio-phono newsgroup a few years ago. I think she went on to say in her note that the radio was the victim of someone with "sticky fingers." as she politely put it. In other words, it was stolen from her. Phil offered to return it to her, but she replied back for him to keep it. A very gracious lady and a darn good actress.
Jonathan

HarrySmith

Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Dennis Markham

Neat story, Jonathan.  I didn't see in the article where she said for him to keep the radio.  Was the story told elsewhere too?

Harry, that's a real nice find there.  I'll have to keep my eyes open for one of those.

bingster

Nice one, Harry.  A quick scrub with gentle soap, a little Elmer's to hold down the frayed bits, and a couple applications of black shoe polish and it will be right as rain.  The G500 is one of the very best looking of the whole lot.

Incidentally, Cheryl Crane was trying to flog her mother's (Lana Turner's) Trans-Oceanic on ebay a couple years ago.  It was an H500 or one of the 600s, as I recall.  I think she wanted $500 or $600 for it, and it sat there for ages and ages.  I wonder where that one wound up.
= DARRIN =

Dan/Panther

Bingster;
I recovered mine in Black denim and clear lacquer. It made the cloth as hard as fiber glass, practically bullet proof. Not original, but I don't intend to sell it either.
I used the old fabric to make patterns.
Harry;
Very similar.

Bwanna;
Thanks once again.

D/P