News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

SOLD -- FOR SALE: Unique Paper Weights

Started by TelePlay, July 08, 2017, 05:59:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TelePlay

I have about a half dozen of these ranging from Small to XXLRG. The one shown is a Large.

The one shown is about 3" by 3" by 2" high. They weigh from 10 to 14 ounces. They all look the same, some smaller and some larger.

As a paper weight, these would certainly classified as rare and quite unique.

These are made out of very high quality surgical steel and yes, the outside is that shiny.

They're going into the trash unless someone wants one or more. They are of no use to anyone for anything other than a conversational paper weight.

Shipping is shown below for each size; total cost stated includes $1 for packing and mailing materials. The two largest sizes are over the first class limit so postage is a bit more.

Any question or if interested, PM me. Payment will be by way of PayPal.

Available Sizes ( unless marked sold ) ---> Prices shown are total cost (includes shipping cost and $1 for mailing materials)

[ SOLD ]   [ SOLD ]  Extra Extra  Large  17 oz -- $7.80

[ SOLD ]  Extra Large  16 oz -- $7.50

[ SOLD ]  Medium Large  14 oz -- $5.10

[ SOLD ]   [ SOLD ]  Large  13 oz -- $4.90

[ SOLD ]   [ SOLD ]  Medium  12 oz -- $4.75

[ SOLD ]   [ SOLD ]  Small  11 0z -- $4.60

Fabius

Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

TelePlay

Dan F

Artificial knee joints. Most likely rejects from the manufactur.

TelePlay

Quote from: Dan F on July 10, 2017, 01:17:26 AM
Artificial knee joints. Most likely rejects from the manufactur.

Very good. Actually just the femur, only on of 4 parts to make a joint.

These are not manufacture rejects. Well, sort of not. They were/are actual implants that were tossed into a dumpster where I worked because the changed the sizing from Small, Medium, Large and ExtraLarge to sizes 1 to 8 and then special order jumbo sizes greater than 8.

When thrown out about 10 years ago, they were sealed in their original packaging, 5 sealed boxes, 3 of which were sterile and the last box, the one holding the implant, filled with an inert sterile gas.

I gave a few of them away to people I knew who had that joint replaced. I thought some on the forum who had the procedure might want one as a conversation piece, to actually hold what is now in their knee.

These are no longer of any medical use in that they have been opened, their lot codes expired years ago and the instruments used to put this size style of implant is have be melted into a chunk of metal by a recovery plant a long time ago. And since everyone has a different sized knee and different joint geometry, to put a new knee in requires having a full set of femur, tibial plates, tibial bearings (more of a milk white Teflon material and not plastic) and patellas (knee caps) on hand, along with all the instruments needed to saw, chisel, drill, ream and glue bone to get the job done.

Last chance to get a $2,000+ conversational paperweight for $1. They are going in the trash next week.

PS: 1) These were  never implanted and subsequently removed (they are not explants) which could not be sent; and 2) I worked in the business of hip, knee, shoulder and elbow replacement along with fixing long bone fractures for 15 years - that's how I got them and know what they are. They sure are shiny.

Fabius

Being stainless steel they could be recycled?

Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

TelePlay

Quote from: Fabius on July 10, 2017, 07:54:43 PM
Being stainless steel they could be recycled?

No, no one will take them except a company in Chicago that recycles them. They are more that stainless steel in that special rare metals are imbedded or mixed in, special proprietary stuff that goes to patent recordings.

These don't scratch or dull as stainless steel does with metal on metal contact. They don't give off metal dust or particles which would cause metalosis in the joint area tissue, a very nasty and debilitating infection.

So, if no one wants them, they go into the trash next Monday. They are an oddity, that's for sure.

Dan F

mentalstampede

I want one. My father had a knee replaced this past autumn; it'll be a neat gift for him.
My name is Kenn, and I like telephones.

"Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by lazy men trying to find easier ways to do something." --Robert Heinlein

TelePlay

Quote from: Dan F on July 11, 2017, 02:17:42 AM
What's the shipping for the lot?

I'd like to wait for a week or so to see  how many members want one for themselves or a relative who had a knee replacement.

I just added the femur sizes available in the first post along with total cost.

Open boxes [  ] are for sale with two boxes meaning 2 available. Boxes maked [ SOLD ] are spoken for.

The smaller ones can ship first class which is cheaper than retail ground for those over 14 ounces.

If they don't all sell, I'll get you a shipping cost for what's left over.

mentalstampede

Got my paperweight today, and it's certainly a nifty curio. It should be a great conversation piece.
My name is Kenn, and I like telephones.

"Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by lazy men trying to find easier ways to do something." --Robert Heinlein

HarrySmith

Got my "paperweight". Awesome pice! I had it on my desk for one day and got all kinds of comments on it. I even had a customer offer to buy it! Great piece, definetly unique.

EDIT:
One of my co-workers wants one!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

TelePlay

Just found another one in a dungeon box, a medium, so that makes 6 still for sale.

Christmas is just around the corner, a gift for someone who has everything, and even maybe one of these that can't be seen.

Dan/Panther

Is the large 13 oz still available ?
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

TelePlay