"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Found on Craigslist: Western Electric 555 PBX. Cost: Free

Started by Fabius, December 01, 2018, 08:23:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Fabius on December 16, 2018, 08:19:15 PM
Yes, the unit with the tubes is marked conference.

That is a sought after option. I think you could sell those cards for a couple of hundred.
I know and understand that you keeping the board complete, I would too.
JMO,
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Fabius

The location where the switchboard was in service has been located!

The are two numbers on the dial that are also on the incoming  trunks. 616-842-2500 was assigned to Challenger Stamping and Porcelain    Co. And 616-842-2080 was assigned to the Puffer Hubbard Refrigerator Co. Both were located in the same building in Grand Haven Michigan and had the same own owner. Challenger made porcelain advertising signs and porcelain on steel appliances. Puffer Hubbard made medical and scientific refrigerators and other instruments. Both companies went bankrupt in the late 1970s.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

robert_m

Nice to see a piece of history going to a good home and not parted / butchered!   I've wanted one of these for years and all i find is butchered crap in chicago are IF you can find one, and for free you cannot beat that.

Babybearjs

boy are you lucky! I'd personally pass on them, 375 pounds is a (expletive deleted) to move! and you have to really have the room for them, otherwise they wind up in the garage, or storage!
John

Fabius

Loading it onto a pickup was easy. The seller had two car ramps that he placed on the lowered pickup tailgate. He placed a piece of plywood on top of the ramps. It was very easy to roll the switchboard up to the bed of the truck.

When I got home we put a thick pad on the tailgate. We laid the switchboard on its back with the bottom with the dolly on it towards the open tail gate. We pushed it slowly over the tailgate and when we reached the switchboard's center of gravity we started to tilt it forward. With three guys we were able to control it as it slid off slowly. When one end of the molly reached the ground we were able to lean the switchboard forward. Then rolled it to its new home in the garage. I was surprised how easy it was to move it.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

poplar1

They are easier to move if you remove the individual plug-in cord pair assemblies.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.