"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

TCI Sani-dials Discussion and Comments

Started by HarrySmith, September 18, 2016, 10:24:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HarrySmith

Quote from: Doug Rose on September 18, 2016, 05:52:50 PM
They are sani-dials and not a WE product. AE had the easi-cleans and you see them on phones all the time, The sani cleans are a tough find, they came in black, brass and nickel.  They fit all WE dials from the #2 to the #5. Below is the envelope and instructions from the last one I found....Doug

TCI had some of those sani-dials donated at one time. They were still in the cardboard shipping boxes but had gotten very wet. The boxes and the envelopes were destroyed. They had envelopes & instructions printed up and have them for sale, I picked up a couple at the last Maitland show and I think they are offered on the website. Very neat finger wheel, I love them!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

unbeldi

Quote from: HarrySmith on September 18, 2016, 10:24:29 PM
TCI had some of those sani-dials donated at one time. They were still in the cardboard shipping boxes but had gotten very wet. The boxes and the envelopes were destroyed. They had envelopes & instructions printed up and have them for sale, I picked up a couple at the last Maitland show and I think they are offered on the website. Very neat finger wheel, I love them!

Donated ?  They used membership money to buy them for several hundred dollars and didn't even have the notion to give the members a wheel or a good deal.

paul-f

Quote from: unbeldi on September 18, 2016, 10:43:24 PM
Donated ?  They used membership money to buy them for several hundred dollars and didn't even have the notion to give the members a wheel or a good deal.

This would be a better topic for the TCI Listserv, but since you brought it up here, I'll respond.

I can assure you that the TCI Board did look at many alternatives before deciding how to distribute the Sani-dials, including those mentioned. 

TCI members know of the efforts put forth to make Sani-dials available to the collecting community.

Many have added Sani-dials to their collections as a result.

Based on member requests, Sani-dials were reproduced by TCI and offered for sale to members beginning in February 2013. There was a good article in the March 2013 Singing Wires explaining the manufacturing process. The paper envelopes and documentation were also reproduced. They were added to the TCI web site, making them available to non-members as well.

They were expensive to make, so only a few were produced.

Based on the success of that effort, some originals were acquired when the opportunity presented itself.

Those that were in good condition were put in reproduction envelopes with documentation and offered for sale at 2014 shows, including Southern Cal., Lancaster and San Jose, as well as on the web site and at later shows. They were priced the same as the earlier reproductions, not higher as some recommended. There was a discount for show attendees. The announcements are in the 2014 issues of Singing Wires.

Other Sani-dials were put on donated telephones that were sold as club fundraisers and offered as "thank you" gifts for those who brought interesting displays to shows or otherwise volunteered time to key TCI projects.

Membership money was not squandered in this effort.  It is one of several fund raisers that TCI uses to help keep annual membership costs to members as low as possible.

The current supply has sold out, so Sani-dials are no longer available on the web site. We hope to have more as soon as our volunteers have time to work on this project and look into methods to refurbish those that need work. It's not our top priority.

If anyone would like to volunteer to help out on this or any other TCI project, please contact me privately.

Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

Russ Kirk

Everything in Paul's posting is correct and acurate. I purchased one of the phones offered for the club fundraiser that has a sani-dial.
- Russ Kirk
ATCA & TCI

HarrySmith

I was repeating what I was told when I purchased them at the show. If anything was out of line, I apologize.
Harry
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

unbeldi

Quote from: paul-f on September 19, 2016, 08:22:57 AM
This would be a better topic for the TCI Listserv, but since you brought it up here, I'll respond.

I can assure you that the TCI Board did look at many alternatives before deciding how to distribute the Sani-dials, including those mentioned. 

TCI members know of the efforts put forth to make Sani-dials available to the collecting community.

Many have added Sani-dials to their collections as a result.

Based on member requests, Sani-dials were reproduced by TCI and offered for sale to members beginning in February 2013. There was a good article in the March 2013 Singing Wires explaining the manufacturing process. The paper envelopes and documentation were also reproduced. They were added to the TCI web site, making them available to non-members as well.

They were expensive to make, so only a few were produced.

Based on the success of that effort, some originals were acquired when the opportunity presented itself.

Those that were in good condition were put in reproduction envelopes with documentation and offered for sale at 2014 shows, including Southern Cal., Lancaster and San Jose, as well as on the web site and at later shows. They were priced the same as the earlier reproductions, not higher as some recommended. There was a discount for show attendees. The announcements are in the 2014 issues of Singing Wires.

Other Sani-dials were put on donated telephones that were sold as club fundraisers and offered as "thank you" gifts for those who brought interesting displays to shows or otherwise volunteered time to key TCI projects.

Membership money was not squandered in this effort.  It is one of several fund raisers that TCI uses to help keep annual membership costs to members as low as possible.

The current supply has sold out, so Sani-dials are no longer available on the web site. We hope to have more as soon as our volunteers have time to work on this project and look into methods to refurbish those that need work. It's not our top priority.

If anyone would like to volunteer to help out on this or any other TCI project, please contact me privately.

Well, not withstanding my and other's respect for your word and effort and such,  no one should have to rely on promises.  These proceedings should have been reviewable in board meeting reports.  But none such documents seem ever to be produced and as a result the TCI leadership operates in virtual secrecy and isolation.