"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Need Help with wiring Leich 901 handset cord

Started by RotoTech99, June 28, 2018, 12:49:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RotoTech99

Dear Forum:

I have a Leich 901 Convertible phone with the original 910 type handset... I am having difficulty wiring the handset cord into it and need a picture of the end of the handset where the cord wires into it, and how it is wired, please. It is not a hollow type handset; it has the conductors molded into it.

I believe my handset may be missing a couple screws and a strap necessary to make the proper connections ... that is why I need a photo detailing how the handset cord is wired into it, and how the cord is secured internally in the handset.

Please also indicate the proper connections, I don't believe mine are marked, or they are hard to read for me due to my vision.

BTW: I don't have a working camera, and would be unable to provide a picture to help explain my situation for which I apologize.

I would greatly appreciate any assistance, and express my thanks to all who provide any assistance.

Thank You,
Rototech99

RB

I have 3 of those phones working.
I can take a few pics tonite, and post tomorrow if no one else beats me to the punch.

RB

Ok, here are a few pics.
these phones are pretty simple.
I believe it is T-R-C around the clock.
I have a different cord on mine, so colors may be different, but config is same.

RotoTech99

Dear RB:

Thank you, I can't see how the cord is secured, but I like the idea of  putting a 4 wire cord on it; I'm converting my Leich 901 to rotary dial use, and I think a 4 wire cord is easier to wire in, even following the original conversion diagram I have.

Can you show how your handset cord is secured inside the handset, please?

I usually like to pair one white lead with the red wire in the base... and I was right, I am missing a couple screws and a strap, but I can do something about those easily enough.

Please let me know, and Thank You.

Rototech99

RB

I will chk this weekend, and post back monday.
No access over weekend

RotoTech99

Dear RB:

I think I see how you did it if you were using a modern direct wire handset cord with the rubber strain relief grommet on it  where it enters the handset... (A WE, ITT, or similar I'm guessing...)

I got one to fit, its pretty snug going into the hole entering the handset, so it had to be worked into place carefully... I think once it's where I want it, I'll use a small zip tie to hold it internally inside the handset.

Other than that, I found most of the missing screws (1 out of 2), from the transmitter end of the handset and the jumper strap... Now I've only got one screw to either find where it "rolled off to" or find one at the hardware store that comes close enough; it's an unfamiliar size, so it's gonna' be a best guess.

Wish me luck, and Thank You.
Rototech99 

RB

RotoTech99

Dear RB:

How is your handset cord connected at the base, and is your 901 converted to manual or rotary, or is it still magneto?

I have mine converted to rotary, using the original diagram, but using a 4 wire handset cord throws me a bit.... I know the red and black are transmitter leads, and the two white are receiver, but i want to be as sure as i can I am pairing the right wires in both the handset and at the base.

thankfully, I also know the 3 lead handset cord colors and what each color is, just trying to recall which is which when using the 4 wire cord is what throws me.

Any assistance you can provide, please is welcome.

Thank you,
Rototech99

RB

Hi
If you look at my pic number 111.jpg, the 4 screws are:
1-Red-Transmitter.
Remove the strap, and
2-white-Rec
3-white-rec
4-Black-transmitter.
Can't remember how cord attached inside, will have to look.
Mine are all mag phones.
I have them hooked to a home made switchboard so I can talk between them.

RotoTech99

Dear RB: In your pictures, the strap you mentioned appears to be present... I just checked, and the strap IS PRESENT; Are you sure I need to remove that?

Please confirm this.

Rototech99

RB

yup, thats what makes it work with a 3 wire cord.
to use the 4 wire cord, you need to remove the strap.
correction...do not remove it, unhook it from one screw, and turn it to the side, and add your wire.
This will keep it inside the phone, not floatin around on your desk.
you will see, that one end is a loop, and the other is a hook.
you may have to remove it, and turn it around, so it will lay against the side of the cup, and not short to anything.

RotoTech99

Dear RB:

Thank you, just making sure I understood you correctly.

Rototech99