News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

WE Med Blue Two Tone from eBay

Started by WEBellSystemChristian, October 01, 2014, 09:19:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WEBellSystemChristian

I was scrolling through eBay today, and this jumped out at me. It appears to be a 554 in Mediterranean Blue with a black dial, handset and cord. It's been mentioned a few times that Bell System installers would change out the housings on black phones with whatever they had available on hand, if the customer wanted a color phone. This one even has the fat switchhook!

I think $50 was a pretty reasonable deal for this!

www.ebay.com/itm/271623931280
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

Kenton K

I saw that but it seemed painted to me. I think I can see brush strokes and the black underneath.

Thats just my thought.

Ken

unbeldi

Quote from: Kenton K on October 01, 2014, 09:28:18 PM
I saw that but it seemed painted to me. I think I can see brush strokes and the black underneath.

Thats just my thought.

Ken
Yup!

WEBellSystemChristian

Thats just my thought.

Ken
Yeah, it does seem painted. Seems odd that Western Electric usually painted rare colored housings black, but this time, they painted a black colored housing a rare color. I think I might just like it a little more now, just because of that oddity!
Christian Petterson

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: WEBellSystemChristian on October 01, 2014, 09:44:57 PM

Thats just my thought.

Ken
Yeah, it does seem painted. Seems odd that Western Electric usually painted rare colored housings black, but this time, they painted a black colored housing a rare color. I think I might just like it a little more now, just because of that oddity!

I agree with both of you.. Maybe at one time the painted body was put onto a med phone with a broken base? But still, that seems like a far off guess.

Ben

Dan/Panther

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

WEBellSystemChristian

I just realized that I never actually mentioned that I bought the phone, it just sounded like I saw it, but posted it here and passed on it. There is good news and bad news with this, so here goes!

Bad news:
When the phone arrived in the mail a few days ago, I was sad (yet not too surprised) that the housing was poorly painted. Whoever painted it left sticker residue, hair, dust, and every other possible imperfection on the housing under the paint! :'( I have no idea who got hold of an exact, perfect match for Mediterranean Blue, but it doesn't look at all like a WE repaint, more like a Krylon Job...

Good news:
Every part on the phone (including the housing) is dated 10-56, including an original satin switchhook!! Other than the paint, the phone looks pretty good, and may not have been as overpriced as it seemed!

I'm gonna try removing the paint like spray paint, with Super Clean or something similar. If it turns out to be an epoxy-based paint, I guess I'll have to resort to sanding. :-\
Christian Petterson

Kenton K

Ts not too bad for a matching date 1956!

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: Kenton K on October 09, 2014, 02:34:35 PM
Ts not too bad for a matching date 1956!
Well, hopefully it's covered in spray paint. That way it might be done by tonight or tomorrow...

If not, it'll be a very long time until it's restored...
Christian Petterson