News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

NE NO.1, no noise through receiver.

Started by oldguy, November 11, 2017, 08:58:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldguy

I picked up this NE NO.1 off of shopgoodwill.com for $14.00 + $12.32 S&H = $26.32. it is in very good condition. Checking it on my BK1045A, everything works except nothing comes through the receiver. so I plugged it into my Panasonic 616, same results. I've checked the wiring, all looks good. wiring & contact resistance good. Capacitor values: 2.19uF & 554nF=about .5uF. Induction coil values: 22.4 ohms, 75.4 ohms, 20.5 ohms. these values seem normal. tried a known good receiver capsule. any help would be appreciated.
Gary

Doug Rose

Rule out the receiver and handset cord by bring DT directly to the handset cord....Doug
Kidphone

oldguy

Gary

Ktownphoneco

Gary  ...  You might also want to check the receiver spring contacts inside the receiver cavity of the handset.    They do on occasion get bent, and don't mate with the contact rings on the bottom of the receiver cartridge properly.
I've also included a Uniphone Model 1 schematic in case you don't have one.    They're pretty much the same as a 302, except the hook switch which has screw terminals.

Jeff Lamb

oldguy

Thanks Jeff, I think that was one of the 1st things I checked but I will check it again tomorrow.
Gary

AE_Collector

DT = Dial Tone. IE: the green and red line wires.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=11316.0

Terry

Ktownphoneco

Ok Gary, thant's good.    Another thing to check is to make sure the 2 bottom contact springs on the dial are mating properly.      If they have good contact with each other, check that hook switch springs "W & GN" have solid contact with each other.   

Jeff

oldguy

Thanks Terry & Jeff, I'll check that stuff tomorrow.
Gary

oldguy

Can anybody see the problem? this is the receiver end of the handset from my No.1.
Gary

LarryInMichigan

Quote from: oldguy on November 13, 2017, 05:47:37 PM
Can anybody see the problem? this is the receiver end of the handset from my No.1.

Those contacts do not look correct.  One needs to touch the contact in the center of the back of the receiver element and the other the outer contact which surrounds it.  It looks like someone may have replaced one of the spring contacts in your handset with the wrong type.  You may be able to bend one of the spring contacts so that it ends up in the center.  Finding a replacement contact from a junk F1 handset shouldn't be difficult.

Larry

oldguy

Yup Larry. In my inspection & testing I had the transmitter & receiver removed. so all my checks all showed good. I used Doug's suggestion & connected the F1 handset from a 302 to my BK1045A & heard a dial tone. Then connected the F1 from my No.1 & no dial tone. So this isolated it to the handset, element or handset cord. Rechecked for resistance & shorting with the handset assembled. From the phone end of the handset cord resistance between the red & white wires on the 302 handset, 22ohms. On the No.1 handset 5 ohms. removed the receiver element & checked the resistance of the element, 22ohms. Checked resistance between red & white wires again, open circuit?? Went back to basics, visual inspection of the receiver ends of the handsets. Then I saw the problem, both contacts were touching the ring on the receiver element. Hours of work & it was a simple wrong part problem. Ain't hindsight wonderful. I feel like an idiot, But I did figure out the problem, with the help of you guys, thank you.
As a mechanic I would bounce ideas off the guys I worked with, to get my thought process going in the wright direction. It's great to have the same help here. thanks again guys.

Gary

LarryInMichigan

I just opened a WE F1 handset from around 1937 and took a picture of the receiver contacts.  They are different in the early solid handsets than in the later hollow ones.  On your handset, you might just need to interchange the two spring contacts.

Larry

oldguy

Thanks Larry. I used the contact out of the western electric handset in my last picture. Works great now.
Gary