News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Antique slot machine for sale.

Started by Greg G., March 27, 2013, 07:34:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg G.

My barber has a 1933 functioning slot machine for sale.  Don't know the manufacturer off hand, but if you recognize it, please identify it.  He's semi-retired in the Seattle area and can't be reached by phone or internet, you would have to physically go down to the barber shop on Tuesdays to talk to him directly, he only works one day a week and the barber shop phone is disconnected.  I can act as a go-between up to a certain point.

Gene passed away few months after this was posted.  I've been looking for another barber ever since, still haven't found one as good as Gene.  I don't know the status of the slot machine.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

WesternElectricBen

I think it would look really cool restored (even thought it docs valu) it will really show the art deco design.

wds

Any idea how much he wants for it?
Dave

ReneRondeau

It's a Mills "Extraordinary" circa 1933, in console cabinet. I had one exactly like it in the 1980s, but in gray. A great, rugged, reliable machine. They were sold in conventional tabletop cabinets or the floor consoles like that one. Obviously that is scarcer, but shipping is problematic and that limits the potential market quite a bit.

Greg G.

Quote from: wds on March 27, 2013, 10:39:27 PM
Any idea how much he wants for it?

He doesn't really know what it will fetch on the collector's market.  I'm trying to find that out for him.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Greg G.

Quote from: ReneRondeau on March 27, 2013, 10:59:45 PM
It's a Mills "Extraordinary" circa 1933, in console cabinet. I had one exactly like it in the 1980s, but in gray. A great, rugged, reliable machine. They were sold in conventional tabletop cabinets or the floor consoles like that one. Obviously that is scarcer, but shipping is problematic and that limits the potential market quite a bit.

Thanks for the info!  I found one online that sold for $2600, but it was a nickel machine whereas this one is a quarter machine, not sure if that makes much difference. 

It would be better if it were a local pickup, however there are companies that buyers can contract with to pickup, pack, and ship items.  Online auction houses sometimes do that.
- Mike Row
e

ReneRondeau

I haven't been actively tracking the market lately but $2600 sounds about right. As with many things, slot machines have softened a bit in price, except for the true rarities.

I was fairly big in the hobby in the 80s but only have a few today -- rather like my phone collection. I had a very large collection 30 years ago (ATCA #876) but only a handful left. Still love them, however!

Greg G.

Quote from: ReneRondeau on March 28, 2013, 04:53:45 PM
I haven't been actively tracking the market lately but $2600 sounds about right. As with many things, slot machines have softened a bit in price, except for the true rarities.

I was fairly big in the hobby in the 80s but only have a few today -- rather like my phone collection. I had a very large collection 30 years ago (ATCA #876) but only a handful left. Still love them, however!

Somebody in the Coin Op Collectors forum expressed an interest, but due to the difficulty of directly talking to Gene (my barber), I haven't heard back.  He (Gene) did state a figure of what he THOUGHT it might be worth, but I'm not going to get into the actual dickering part.  I'm just going to make the introductions and do some research on it. 

I found a similar one very near me on ebay, but sounds like they want too much for it.  Many declined offers.  It's a nickel machine so again I don't know how much difference that makes, plus it looks to be in better shape.  http://www.ebay.com/itm/200830161017
- Mike Row
e