News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

1950 500 with net replaced in 1958 - Ebay

Started by RotarDad, July 21, 2019, 08:03:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RotarDad

This one sold in late May.  I just realized it would be a good item to post as it is a bit strange.  Originally a 12-50 500, it was refurbed and had its 425A net + 311A equalizer replaced with a 425B net, probably in '58, based on the net date.   We've seen these refurbs before many times...  The strange thing on this one is that the original switch hook was retained (light colored metal with black plastic cover) which means the wires all had to be moved to the new net.  In addition, the original handset, U-1 earpiece, ringer and 9-50 shell were retained.   I wonder about the dial - it does have a newer bezel, but no pics show the back of the dial to see if the original 7A is still there.   We normally see these refurb net replacements include the switch hook and often every other original part...  I was ready to snipe this one as I'm looking for an earlier shell for my '50, but the large crack in the corner led me to pass.

It sold for $94 + $14 shipping.

ebay.com/itm/303160611037
Paul

RotarDad

One more pic that didn't fit..
Paul

Dan/Panther

I'm wondering if it was a shell placed onto a later base. All internal parts seem dated 58 and later.

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

andre_janew

The model number is in the wrong place for a 1950 phone.

RotarDad

Andre - Good observation.  The model number on this set was restamped during refurb to the "new" location.  You are right that the early phones (up to the transition in 3/51) had the model number and date stamped on the base between the front feet.

Dan - I studied this one carefully before posting this thread.  The base is definitely 1950.  You can see the switch hook tower is white metal with the black opaque dust cover, consistent with an early set.  The ringer is dated 12-50, and you see the deformed rivet holes where the 311A equalizer was removed.

I've never seen a net replacement like this without the switch hook being changed also....
Paul

andre_janew

One other odd thing about this phone is that it lacks the "CONV" in red letters to indicate the network has been changed.  I've seen one with such letters stamped on the bottom in another thread.

Jim Stettler

Quote from: andre_janew on July 27, 2019, 04:01:17 PM
One other odd thing about this phone is that it lacks the "CONV" in red letters to indicate the network has been changed. 
I have seen CONV in white letters on some phones. I have never seen it in red.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

RotarDad

Andre - You're right there also, that most of these net swaps are noted with a "CONV" stamp.  This one says C/D so you know it's a 425B net, but usually they have the CONV also.  I've only see white ink that I remember, but I have seen the refurb shop overstamp "C/D 500" in red occasionally.
Paul

andre_janew

Was there any mechanical or electrical differences in the switch hooks?  I'm thinking that there wasn't and this is why the original was left in place.

RotarDad

Andre, the switch hooks were very similar.  However, all but one or two of the switch hook wires had to soldered to the early network, which would be time-consuming.  The later switch hook and network design was connected mostly with spade lugs.  This up is why I think the switch hook was usually replaced with the net.  The worker was already working the rivet tool - why not just do 3 more in the switch hook.
Paul

Jim Stettler

Quote from: RotarDad on July 29, 2019, 11:09:48 PM
all but one or two of the switch hook wires had to soldered to the early network, which would be time-consuming.  The later switch hook and network design was connected mostly with spade lugs.  The worker was already working the rivet tool - why not just do 3 more in the switch hook.
You sound just  like a Bell Lab engineer.
I agree with your assessment.
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

RotarDad

Quote from: Jim Stettler on July 29, 2019, 11:49:40 PM
You sound just  like a Bell Lab engineer.

Thanks Jim - I'll take that as a big compliment!!
Paul