and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Farm Fresh B1 w/ Strange Module

Started by extremecinema, February 20, 2015, 01:29:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

poplar1

Quote from: extremecinema on February 21, 2015, 03:26:59 PM

What is a "C"  mounting?

C1 handset mounting + handset + cords = 101- or 201-type hand telephone set (201C-3E shown)

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=10655.msg113432#msg113432

"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

zingaro

Converting back to #2.
Just saw a kit on epay the outside finger stop n 2 screws.
sound like the lead can be picked out with something like a dentist tool or similar device. The ad also gave the thread tap size that was used if u needed to clean up the threads. I think the kit was 17 or 27 bucks n the F stop had a stamped @ on it
zingarofunkart
atca# 1463

unbeldi

Quote from: zingaro on February 22, 2015, 10:47:27 AM
Converting back to #2.
Just saw a kit on epay the outside finger stop n 2 screws.
sound like the lead can be picked out with something like a dentist tool or similar device. The ad also gave the thread tap size that was used if u needed to clean up the threads. I think the kit was 17 or 27 bucks n the F stop had a stamped @ on it

Remember that it will be authentic only once!

TelePlay

For posterity, parts from oldphoneshop for $16.99 plus $5 shipping. Finger stop not stamped.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-Western-Electric-telephone-2-dial-Finger-stop-convert-4-dials-NO-STAMP-/201156766585

"Here is Western Electric telephone #2 dial finger stop with the rare oval  screws. Now you can convert your #4 dials that still have the lead plugged screw holes  back into #2 dials .  Earlier these dials were plugged with lead and converted to a #4 dial. You can convert these dials back to a #2 dial buy pushing out the lead with a small nail or pick . If you need to clean up the threads with a  3-48  tap. Most of the time this is not needed. This one is for a #2   dial with no stamp. As you can see there are no markings . If you need some like this buy them as very few unmarked were made . We are selling these at a discount for a limited time only. You receive   one nickel  finger stop and 2 screws only . Comes polished  no need to do anything but install. You do not get a dial"

Doug Rose

Really nice B1. If it was mine, I would leave the 4H as is. Putting refurb parts on this beauty would be a shame, but it is your phone and it is only my opinion....Doug
Kidphone

Sargeguy

John Infurma sells fingerstops as well.  His are available stamped
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

TelePlay

Quote from: Sargeguy on February 22, 2015, 01:28:44 PM
John Infurma sells fingerstops as well.  His are available stamped

I had a question about the oldphoneshop parts. From what was said in the listing description, it seemed to me that they are not repros but are actually NOS unstamped stops. Any thoughts?

extremecinema

So fellas,  what's the concensus... leave the 4H as is on the B1, or pop the screw holes, change the fingerstop  and return the dial to 2H specs?

Which makes a more "authentic" B1?

Kenton K

I'd leave as is. I believe B1 were also issued originally with 4H also.

Ken

Doug Rose

"authentic" is a toughie as they came with a #2 or a #4 dial, so both are authentic. Putting a part, that in my opinion is a reproduction on a 85 year old phone is not making it authentic. If I were you, I would put it on a shelf and admire it....as it is....Doug
Kidphone

WEBellSystemChristian

Here is one directly from Old Phone Shop (from the Milwaukee area) with 2AA stamped on it. They also sell them with 2AB stamped on them. That finger stop from ebay was also made by the same person, and the seller from ebay was Old Phone Shop.

http://www.oldphoneshop.com/products/2aa-finger-stop-with-screws.html

http://www.oldphoneshop.com/products/2ab-finger-stop-for-2-dials-and-for-4dial-conversion.html
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

HarrySmith

Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

unbeldi

The basic question would be, which story do you want to tell when you show off your beloved piece to a visitor... or yourself:

Do you want to mention that the Bell System made telephones that could be upgraded from manual to dial operation without waste, and took great care in recycling old technology and reusing parts to reduce waste and save money, and therefore they invented ways to fit a dial that was mounted on top of the base into a D1 base where the dial was sunken into the unit, and they plugged up the holes with lead or solder, drilled new holes and redesigned the finger stop and the number plate to make them fit in this way.... (that you are pointing out now)....  8)

or,

do you want to tell the story of how you found the telephone and how you thought it would be way cooler to have the finger stop on the outside and how you picked out the lead and showed great Internet shopping skills on eBay to find just the right-looking piece to fool a novice onlooker into the experience of originality.  But since there were extra holes in that converted dial, you didn't have the right kind of metal to fill the holes, but it's ok, because they can't be seen anyways.  :-[

?
:-\

extremecinema

Quote from: unbeldi on February 25, 2015, 08:58:03 AM
The basic question would be, which story do you want to tell when you show off your beloved piece to a visitor... or yourself:

Do you want to mention that the Bell System made telephones that could be upgraded from manual to dial operation without waste, and took great care in recycling old technology and reusing parts to reduce waste and save money, and therefore they invented ways to fit a dial that was mounted on top of the base into a D1 base where the dial was sunken into the unit, and they plugged up the holes with lead or solder, drilled new holes and redesigned the finger stop and the number plate to make them fit in this way.... (that you are pointing out now)....  8)

or,

do you want to tell the story of how you found the telephone and how you thought it would be way cooler to have the finger stop on the outside and how you picked out the lead and showed great Internet shopping skills on eBay to find just the right-looking piece to fool a novice onlooker into the experience of originality.  But since there were extra holes in that converted dial, you didn't have the right kind of metal to fill the holes, but it's ok, because they can't be seen anyways.  :-[

?
:-\

You make a very salient - albeit slightly sarcastic - point here.

I'm going to leave the 4H alone. 

Thank you everyone for your feedback.

HarrySmith

Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"