News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Phone Identification and how to open

Started by Bob R, June 30, 2019, 05:39:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob R

I've had this phone for years, never needed to open it as it was just on the wall as a novelty.  A while back I opened an old Crank Bell Box and found a NOS spare crank inside.  Does any one know if this actually takes a key or is it just a specific sized screwdriver.  Thanks

Key2871

I can't imagine that it needs a key to open.
Have you tried a #0 flat blade screwdriver?
KEN

Jack Ryan

There is a key but a screwdriver works too.

There are reproduction keys available I believe.

Jack

Ktownphoneco

Bob  ....  Ken & Jack are correct.     I'm attaching a picture so you can see what it is your aiming for.    Try and get the screw driver blade into one of the slots indicated in the picture and turn the lock to open.     Ignore the "terrible" attempt at the replacement locking cam you see on the back of the lock.   Somebody probably broke the factory cam off the back of the lock trying to pry the door open and decided to do a poor job of fabricating a replacement. 
What you see in the picture is what is located under the key opening and trim plate on your wall telephone.   Click & double click to enlarge.

Jeff Lamb

Bob R

Just wanted a little advise so I didn't damage anything.  Thanks guys, I got it and found a key that works perfectly. 

Jim Stettler

If the plate is held on by small screws , I remove 1 and use a screwdriver to turn the latch. If the plates has rivet nails then I would try small screwdrivers.
These  were designed to latch  shut, they weren't trying to be secure.
JMO,
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Key2871

Good deal, nice job Jeff. (I'm not even that far yet)
KEN

tubaman

I'm struggling with the concept of having a phone for a few years and not opening it! :o
The minute I get a phone it has to be opened and inspected to see what I have. Waiting is just not an option. ::)

Oh, did you find anything interesting inside it?

HowardPgh

The key for that is just a flat piece of metal shaped like a lower case letter T.  the width of the shaft is slightly smaller than the hole in the lock' s faceplate.
Howard

Jack Ryan

These are Ericsson keys:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/133070056595

But they probably fit as well.

Jack