"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Wiring Kellogg F118 to Kellogg 185 subset

Started by Nessie, September 01, 2016, 11:58:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nessie

Hi,
I am trying to connect a non dial Kellogg F118 candlestick phone to the phone network using a Kellogg 185 subset.  I am not very good at reading schematics, this is what I see. The phone has a terminal strip with numbers 1 to 4 then R R.  No 3 is not used.  One of the transmitter wires is connected to switch hook in the  no 2 position, the other transmitter wire is connected to no 2 terminal.

A jumper wire is connected on the switch hook spring that connects to the pivot to  no 2 terminal.  Another jumper runs from the top hook switch spring to the last R terminal.  Nothing is connected to the last hook spring on the switch hook that makes contact when the phone is off hook.

The receiver wires are attached to terminals 1 &2.  The 3 remainig wires that go to the subset are on terminal 4, R, & R.  They are all the same color.

I don't know if these wires are on the correct terminals.  By change I connected alligator clips from terminal 1 to L! on the subset & terminal 4 to L2 on the subset.  The phone  answers calls & rings.

I know this is not the proper way to connect the phone.

Do you guys have any suggestions on how this phone should be connected.  Thanks.

unbeldi

Is the 185 subset a flat contoured metal case with gongs on the front outside?

Do you have the diagram?

Can you show some pictures?

PS: this is a F-118 of 1921:

Nessie

The bells are inside the subset.

Nessie

photo

Nessie

I'm sure having trouble posting photos, sorry.  I have no diagram.

unbeldi

Thanks for the pics.
The induction coil in that subset looks like a 103A type.  The number might be stamped on the side of the unit in yellow ink.

The 103A is an anti-sidetone coil for instruments made in the 1930s, while your desk stand is from the 1910s or early 1920s. These earlier circuits used a simpler circuit without sidetone compensation.  How many conductors are in the mounting cord of the desk stand?   I think it could be two or three, and hopefully it is three.

Just trying to establish exactly what you have...

wds

I think this should be the correct wiring diagram for your candlestick.  This subset/ringer should also be the correct box for your phone. 
Dave

Nessie

The induction coil is marked 103 & there are 3 wires to go to the subset.

Nessie

Hi,
I'm sorry but I don' understand schematics very well.  How does this relate to the 1-4, R,R terminals on the phone. I like word descriptions better.  I found that schematic when I was searching but I do not understand how to actually do it.  Thanks.

unbeldi

Quote from: wds on September 01, 2016, 03:13:54 PM
I think this should be the correct wiring diagram for your candlestick.  This subset/ringer should also be the correct box for your phone.

Well, I think he has a 610 subset.

Yours I think is one of the 250-series subsets for sidetone instruments.  Indeed some of these were used with the 118 desk stand as well.
I think you have the 79A induction coil.

Looking at Nesssie's hookswitch, I see four springs, not three as in your diagram.

unbeldi

Quote from: Nessie on September 01, 2016, 03:16:03 PM
The induction coil is marked 103 & there are 3 wires to go to the subset.

Ok, thanks.   So this confirms it is an anti-sidetone subset.  Normally that was used with a different desk set, but it can be made to work with your too.
I have some circuits for the 103 coils.

wds

Dave

unbeldi

Quote from: wds on September 02, 2016, 08:57:33 AM
Or you could just get the correct subset?

Time to thin out your collection ? :-)

unbeldi

Ok, I think I have located a schematic of the original desk set at least, in a compilation by Mike Neale.
I was guided by the number of springs (4) in the hookswitch and the designation numbers on the terminals that Nessie reported.

I don't know whether this is indeed a F118 desk stand, but here it is.  This shows the desk stand on the left, and the subset portion on the right, I dimmed the subset part slightly for distinction.

Take this as a starting point for your journey.  I know what you said about diagrams, but a picture tells a thousand words and nobody ever had the reading skill at birth.

More later...

wds

My Kellogg isn't for sale, but I have a Stromberg just like it I could part with.  Sidetone and wires up just like the Kellogg.

The attached wiring diagram is for a magneto? 
Dave