News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Western Electric 302 won't ring

Started by Laurie, January 24, 2013, 12:39:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Laurie

I have a Western Electric 302 that works perfectly other than it won't ring.  I've attached a photo, if anybody could tell me what wire I need to move to make the ringer work.  I'd love to have it ring so I could turn off the annoying tones my other phones use.  Thanks much! ???

wds

Welcome to the forum!  Looks like you should move the red ringer wire off of the terminal block and put it on L1.  Should work then.
Dave

HarrySmith

Hi Laurie!
Welcome to the forum. If this is your fist phone I suggest you fix the wire and leave this place! If you stay here you will contract Phonitis! This is a deadly incurable disease that will take over your life and your home. The old phones will multiply quickly and you will soon be wanting 302's in color or other Western Electric phones to match! ;D

Seriously, enjoy your phone, it is a great piece of American technology and history. The info on the wires is 100% accurate but in case you are not familiar with the terminolgy I have added a picture below with circles where needed. The black circle is the Red wire you need to move and the red circle is the terminal you need to move it to.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Laurie

Thanks to those who answered my question on my old phone.   My next day off I'll move those wires and listen to the phone ring.  Thanks too for the warning about phone-itis.  I would LOVE a red one, have a weakness for all things red, but it's out of my price range; we'll have to stick to basic black ;)  It's the phone I remember both my grandmas having in their old homes when I was little.  I can't believe how heavy the receiver is, much heavier than the phone we had when I was a kid in the 70s.  I'm a 911 dispatcher and you can't imagine how much I wish everybody was calling us on regular old corded telephones.  Thanks again!