News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Shipping phones in suit case

Started by WesternElectricBen, March 29, 2013, 12:27:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WesternElectricBen

I've been kind of nervous about sending telephones in my suit case, should I just buy some boxes and send them throught the mail, they are very breakable as you guys should know.

Should I use usps or put it in the cargo hold with rest of clothes? Any shipping strategies on airplanes??

Thanks

Ben

Russ Kirk

I have no troubles buying phones and packing them in my suitcases.  I use all my dirty laundry and they are packed very securely.  i do find the TSA often opens the suitcases but repacks the phones nicely.
- Russ Kirk
ATCA & TCI

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: Russ Kirk on March 29, 2013, 01:21:33 PM
I have no troubles buying phones and packing them in my suitcases.  I use all my dirty laundry and they are packed very securely.  i do find the TSA often opens the suitcases but repacks the phones nicely.

lol, they are probably phone collectors and wanted to make sure having a pleasant flight home!!

Greg G.

A tip I once read posted by a traveler frustrated over lost luggage was they now ship their luggage UPS to their destination.  It costs more, but it was better than dealing with the hassle of lost luggage.  They would call the hotel and tell them it's coming and they would hold it for them.  I don't travel much, but I did follow that advice when I went to San Diego and shipped my scuba gear UPS to my cousin's place.  

Your situation is the reverse, but I would still follow it.  Pack them as if sending them to a buyer and just address them to yourself.  I've never had problems with USPS, but apparently some have.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

DavePEI

Notes: re UPS and USPS

I have bought over 500 items over the past ten years on eBay, and many more items off eBay. Almost all came by USPS via Canada Post. I only had trouble with one, and it showed up 6 months late and it turned out it had been stuck in customs.

Every item ordered UPS showed up late and had exhorbitant Customs clearance fees added onto the parcel. Several were totally destroyed, including a brand new computer case which arrived looking as though it had been dropped from 10,000 feet, and another which had the whole front face smashed out of it.  

When an item goes through customs and applicable taxes have not been collected end remitted by the seller,  UPS's customs broker charges $35+ for what USPS/Canada Post charges $5 for (plus applicable taxes). Any item crossing a border by UPS will be charged this fee for customs clearance in addition to the shipping fee..

Likewise, the same clearance charges happen for items shipped from Canada to the US.

Just because you had problems with one item, doesn't mean you always (or ever again) have a problem with another parcel. Pack it well, and address it correctly, and it will get through. It might take a side trip or two (rare, but happens)

I now refuse all shipments via UPS unless they are unavailable any other way.

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

baldopeacock

USPS takes a lot of criticism, but I've also had better luck with handling and delivery time with the good ol' Post Office than I've had with either UPS or FedEx.   Price-wise, USPS is usually quite a bit more reasonable than the competitors as well, in my experience.   

I think it's kind of fashionable to bash the Post Office.   They are not perfect, but where else can I drop a letter in the mail and get it anywhere in the country in a couple of days for less than fifty cents?   

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: baldopeacock on March 29, 2013, 07:27:47 PM
USPS takes a lot of criticism, but I've also had better luck with handling and delivery time with the good ol' Post Office than I've had with either UPS or FedEx.   Price-wise, USPS is usually quite a bit more reasonable than the competitors as well, in my experience.   

I think it's kind of fashionable to bash the Post Office.   They are not perfect, but where else can I drop a letter in the mail and get it anywhere in the country in a couple of days for less than fifty cents?   

UPS is good thought I'm concerned if it will get wreked with the careless baggage people.

twocvbloke

Quote from: WesternElectricBen on March 29, 2013, 08:45:42 PMI'm concerned if it will get wreked with the careless baggage people.

Isn't that what carry-on luggage is for? :D

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: twocvbloke on March 30, 2013, 11:06:31 PM
Quote from: WesternElectricBen on March 29, 2013, 08:45:42 PMI'm concerned if it will get wreked with the careless baggage people.

Isn't that what carry-on luggage is for? :D

I'm pretty sure they wouldn't let me bring a item that might be abel to hit someone over the head, but it got home fine.

AE_Collector

Quote from: DavePEI on March 29, 2013, 05:29:51 PM
When an item goes through customs and applicable taxes have not been collected end remitted by the seller,  UPS's customs broker charges $35+ for what USPS/Canada Post charges $5 for

Dave

Another opportunity to point this out to those of us shipping across the Canada/US border. There has been lots of talk of it in the past but I still feel bad for someone who "had no idea" and allowed a seller to ship an item to them across a border by OTHER than the USPS/Canada Post. Everyone store this advice in the back of their mind somewhere.

Terry