News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

"Marilyn Monroe's Bedside Telephone" Auction...For Real???

Started by JimH, November 22, 2013, 01:54:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnInWI

The bidding (2 bidders) is up to $2,150 with a little over 3 hours left!

Doug Rose

Kidphone

TelePlay

This is fun, digging into stuff I remember as a young adult but haven't look into in over 50 years.

Anyone read the 85 page FBI file they have on her on their web site in pdf format? It listed her NY phone number as OR- something. It's amazing to read what was important to the FBI back then.

Anyway, here's a photo of her 1951 bedroom, most likely in New York, or there abouts, and it shows what appears to be a manual 302. Must have been an apartment.

The photos I've found so far of the bedroom in which she died has it looking like a cheap hotel room much unlike those two posted above. The full photo of the table shot (the photo has been cropped for use here) shows the bed to the right of the table and the bed does not have a dark wood headboard. Seems the phone was on the other side of the bed with the handset in her hand but no definitive photos of that side are on line.

Even if a photo were found of the phone in that room, how many others just like it exist today and what proof could there ever be that any one of them is "the phone" from "the bedroom" she was in at the time of "her death?"

Ol' PT was right on this one. But, if it has a bug in it, it might be legit. Maybe the burnt letter is what the buyer is after?

david@london

i sent the seller a question about the provenance .........+ the burnt letter.

i received a reply :

Q. ............great phone .......and interesting.
i was just wondering about the possibilty that this was marilyn's phone.
could you tell me the significance of the burnt letter pls ?

A. ......................Dear Sir, From all that I hear from several expert collectors, its the phone by Marilyn,s bed. Letter is to me when I had a phone store. Its partially damaged. In 1972, I was called by a man saying he worked at Fox studiod. I said send me a letter. This is whats left. Thanks, Gary

WesternElectricBen

TelePlay

Quote from: WesternElectricBen on November 23, 2013, 04:25:13 PM
Never new she was much of a reader..

Ben

Stagecraft - nothing is real other than the paper it is written on . . . ;)

TelePlay

Doug Rose

Quote from: TelePlay on November 23, 2013, 05:13:21 PM
Sold for $2,150.00. Go figure . . .
John...I watched it end as well.  I do not believe it, there is too much conjecture and very little fact....Doug
Kidphone

WesternElectricBen

People just don't care.. I mean really, they probably just wasted their money..

I wouldn't pay even 15 for that phone..

Ben

Doug Rose

Kidphone

WesternElectricBen

For only 29.00 you can have something as authentic as Mariline's real phone for about 2,100 dollars cheeper!

Ben

david@london

pics -

david@london

photo of the base of the phone from ebay ..........i was wondering if this one has a ringer..........

TelePlay

Quote from: david@london on November 23, 2013, 06:18:25 PM
 i was wondering if this one has a ringer..........

The ringer is there but the gongs have been removed. See the two pictures of the insides above.

david@london

Quote from: TelePlay on November 23, 2013, 06:27:05 PM

The ringer is there but the gongs have been removed. See the two pictures of the insides above.

oh yes...................whoops

i agree with brinybay -  imo this auction was probably alot of hooey.  is it possible that some of the bids were phoney, to drawer in a final bid ?
can't see how a buyer would sell the phone on as m.monroe's own.