"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Yellow(?) AE80

Started by LarryInMichigan, October 03, 2011, 04:28:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LarryInMichigan

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=380372693810

I bid on this on a whim and ended up winning it.  I don't know why the seller says that it is light olive.  It looks like it was made in 1960.  Do you think that it's worth $14?

Larry

jsowers

I saw it and thought the same thing. It's yellow, but the dial face has turned a little greenish. It's probably soft plastic and very nice. I don't recall seeing too many yellow ones this old. I think you got a great deal. It even has all its original cords.
Jonathan

teka-bb

Isn't this called mustard yellow?
=============================================
Regards,

Remco, JKL Museum of Telephony Curator

JKL Museum of Telephony: http://jklmuseum.com/
TCI Library: http://www.telephonecollectors.info/

LarryInMichigan

Quote from: teka-bb on October 03, 2011, 05:32:07 PM

According to the AE color chart on Paul F's website, it should be Yellow/autumn gold/lemonade, which I guess is a bit more brownish.  It's hard to tell from the listing pictures how the color really looks.  If I don't like it, I will probably sell it.

Larry

AE_Collector

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on October 03, 2011, 05:48:22 PM
Quote from: teka-bb on October 03, 2011, 05:32:07 PM

According to the AE color chart on Paul F's website, it should be Yellow/autumn gold/lemonade, Larry

I need to work with Paul again one day on his AE Color Site. In AE 80's and 90's this is either Sunlight Yellow or Sunny Yellow. I can never remember which name is correct. It isn't Lemonade (much lighter yellow color) or Autumn Gold. However, in the typical AE fashion....Autumn Gold is the EXACT same color, it just isn't called Autumn Gold when on an 80. Could anyone follow that?!

I saw this auction as well and wondered what color the sellers glasses were tinted. Yes it is worth $14. I have several and bought another several years ago for somewhere betwen $25 and $30 just because it was such a good example of the very first colored AE 80's.

Terry

stub

Code 17 = ?       stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

jsowers

Thanks, stub, for posting that nice ad. Those have to be the ten colors that my keychain is referring to. I have a modest phone keychain collection and found this one in September. It's one of those tilt things that shows one image, an AE80, in one view and another, an AE90 wall phone, in the other. See the auction pictures, below.
Jonathan

LarryInMichigan

I am glad that I apparently didn't buy a dud.  I really expected the bidding to go much higher, so I when I won it, I wondered if there was a reason why almost nobody else wanted it.

So I now have two down and eight to go on AE80s.

Larry

stub

LarryInMichigan ,
                          Glad someone from the Forum got it, I passed trying to get other phones that I needed, but got sniped. Nice phone!!   stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

JorgeAmely

Larry:

This is one of the good ones, with the rear mounted cord and the schematic neatly tucked inside the case. In some of my colored AE80s, the numbers wheel is a little off color because in some cases, they were made of soft plastic and they are prone to grow mold on them. Color code 17 is yellow or whatever name variation is out there.

It is a tough color to find. I think you should start your colored AE80 collection. I know who has a spare Dawn Gray phone.

Jorge

AE_Collector

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on October 03, 2011, 10:19:15 PM
So I now have two down and eight to go on AE80s.

Larry

Uh, not so quick. The ten colors advertised on the key chain don't include black so that makes 11 colors and even worse, they had already dropped "Colonial Blue" (dark blue) so that makes 12. Don't worry though, the ease of finding a black one will make up for the difficulty in finding the dark blue one.

Terry

LarryInMichigan

I already have an early black one.  For what it's worth, I also have a black converted North AE80 look-alike.  I would be happy to trade my black AE80 for your Colonial Blue :D

Larry

AE_Collector

Okay, Jorge is sending his Dawn Gray 80 as well so you will be all set.

Terry

GG

Your black converted North Electric phone: the AE 80 housings for those were made by Leich.  That housing is also very similar to what Belgian AE (ATEA) used on their 80 lookalike. 

I had one of the Leich/North conversion kits in beige, which fell victim to bad packing for shipment.  Never place the receiver longitudinally across the cradle for shipping: the handgrips on these (and on complete AE phones) are weak and will smash easily.

I'll also confess to looking at that yellow 80 and then forgetting about it on the last day. 

LarryInMichigan

The phone just arrived.  It is very yellow, almost exactly the same color as my yellow soft WE500.  "Sunlight Yellow" or "Sunny Yellow" would be appropriate names for the color.   The dial bezel appears a bit darker and more pale, but I think that it is only from some minor discoloration.  The shell is soft plastic, but the handset and caps are ABS.  The phone is actually in very good condition and quite clean for an ebay phone.  The dial turns very smoothly.  Unfortunately, the ringer is a 33.3Hz freq ringer.  Overall, it looks like I came out well on this one.

Larry