"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Real or Repro ? 1908 Diecut Bell Ebay #322936716324

Started by rfkimba, December 13, 2017, 12:43:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rfkimba

Collectors,
Please weigh in if this new Ebay listing of a 7.5"x6.5" is a  is a repro or original? It appears different from the fine example provided  in Greg's tutorial which is copied below for reference .
Regards,
Bob Farber

https://www.ebay.com/itm/322936716324

Sargeguy

I saw this auction during my evening sign search. The sign is slightly different from the other example provided.  The lettering is thinner.  It appears that the cobalt blue does not cover the edges fully, they look black.  Unlike N.E.T.&T. versions of this sign, which are white, the backs of these are black/dark gray. The weathering looks convincing. The chipping on the back is a little odd, I'm not sure what to make of it. I do not see the small triangular marks made by the supports used during drying.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Payphone installer

There are many of these bells that have turned up over the years that were in really bad shape. Since they are rare to start with they were sent to a porcelain repair company. The process of porcelain repair is very expensive also. I own one that has been repaired and it is perfect. It is also black on the back. If I had to guess the one in the auction may be a high end repair. From my previous experience on these bells and buying and trying to buy them the value does not seem to vary much on a repaired one versus a unrepaired one. They still sell high. I am not aware of this sign ever being reproduced but that does not mean it was not. If they were repoed there weren't many.

Signguy

I would like to politely disagree. These signs are not rare. Over the years I have seen
well over 100 of these signs. I once bought a call box that had 3 of these signs affixed to it. Years ago I knew a person that had more then 20 of these signs himself.

Although they still command a high price their rarity, or lack thereof,  does not justify
the price in relation to other hard to find signs. Just my opinion.

Sargeguy

Maybe not rare, but people seem to hold onto them.  They come up for auction every 6 months or so. 
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Sargeguy

Wow, it went for $400 with only two bids!!! I'm a little surprised.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409