News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

CRPF Award for "Worst Picture of an eBay auction item"

Started by AE_Collector, December 06, 2010, 01:33:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AE_Collector

Long overdue is a CRP Forum award for "Best (worst) Picture(s)" of an ebaY auction item.

I'll start with these two pictures from the following current auction item, a brassed out AE stick (at least the seller says that is what it is, I can't really tell for sure from the pictures).

Does anyone remember the 60's TV show, "The Time Tunnel"? The first picture reminds me of Tony & Doug walking into the tunnel, never to return. I don't have a clue what it is actually a picture of so I'm calling it "The Time Tunnel".

The second shot is of the base of the candlestick....I think....No wait a minute, that's an open manhole in the street, isn't it?? How did that get in here?

So the next time you find a picture of an ebaY auction item that leaves you shaking your head, you now have somewhere to post it so others can appreciate it for its artistic beauty or lack there of! The colors, the colors!

Terry

http://cgi.ebay.com/AUTOMATIC-ELECTRIC-BRASS-DIAL-CANDLESTICK-TELEPHONE-/230560116756 ( dead link 02-15-21 )

bingster

I've seen plenty of bad pictures on ebay, but I don't think I've ever seen anything quite like that.
= DARRIN =

jsowers

Yes, I remember The Time Tunnel. I feel myself being inexplicably drawn into that first picture toward Pearl Harbor on December 6, 1941 (exactly 69 years ago today), and nobody will heed my warnings. That was a neat show if you were a history nut like me.

Those pictures are awful. Sometimes I think they spit on the camera lens and don't wipe it off. Or they try to use a cell phone for the pictures.
Jonathan

wds

Sometimes it's a bad camera, or bad picture taking, but I've run across a couple Ebay items where the seller intentionally posted fuzzy pictures to hide damage to the item for sale.  When they don't respond to my email requests for clarifications on damage, then I know they're hiding something. 
Dave

McHeath

Worst e-bay phone pics I've seen.  That first one could be used for any product or item ad:

"Here for sale is my first edition Harry Potter book"

"Here for sale is a 1971 Triumph TR-6"

"Here for sale is my aluminum Christmas tree with rotating light"

"Here for sale is my complete collection of Sonny and Cher albums"

"Here for sale is a size 8 diamond ring"

"Here for sale is an Ericofone in see phone green"

Geesh.

AE_Collector

Quote from: jsowers on December 06, 2010, 09:04:07 AM
Yes, I remember The Time Tunnel. I feel myself being inexplicably drawn into that first picture toward Pearl Harbor on December 6, 1941 (exactly 69 years ago today), and nobody will heed my warnings. That was a neat show if you were a history nut like me.

You still have time Jonathan, try to warn the people of Pearl Harbour before it's too late!

I really did like that show when I was a kid. Then maybe 10 years ago now I found it in reruns on some channel and watched some of them again. While writing my initial post I wiki'd "Time Tunnel" and learned that there was only one season, 66/67 and they produced 30 episodes.

Terry

Greg G.

Quote from: ae_collector on December 06, 2010, 01:33:06 AM
Long overdue is a CRP Forum award for "Best Picture(s)" of an ebaY auction item.

I'll start with these two pictures from the following current auction item, a brassed out AE stick (at least the seller says that is what it is, I can't really tell for sure from the pictures).

Terry

http://cgi.ebay.com/AUTOMATIC-ELECTRIC-BRASS-DIAL-CANDLESTICK-TELEPHONE-/230560116756

No doubt taken with a crappy cell phone camera.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

AE_Collector

Don't you hate it when a seller doesn't put the color of a phone in their subject line and their pictures make it hard to tell the color? I wasn't sure if this was white or a very light green color.

Well fortunately this seller did include the color in the desciption of this auction. It's Black.

Terry

This is a nice black wall-hanging Rotary-Dial telephone. When I tested it, I was able to talk on it but it didn't ring. Appears to be in good condition. Came from an estate sale. Inside of hand set says ITT.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/130590860634 ( dead link 02-15-21 )

Doug Rose

Sorry...this is the clear cut winner....and only one picture

http://tinyurl.com/9uvmj9d ( dead link 02-15-21 )
Kidphone

dsk

Yes, and you can buy it now for only $225 ::)  ..... if its not sold allready :P

dsk

AE_Collector

Clearly a picture of the Living Room carpet. The phone was probably two feet to the left! They do "thank us for viewing". The bottom line of the listing is probably a clue to what went wrong "Posted with ebaY Mobile"

Terry

Rare Antique 1940s Northern Electric Mfg. Co. Desk Phone
Cleaning out the old family storage units!!

Up for bids is an antique Northern Electric Co. phone. Not sure if it works currently. Nice piece of history for collectors!

Please email if you have any questions or would like a different pic.

Thank you for viewing and happy Ebaying;)
Posted with eBay Mobile

Greg G.

I think I see either a teddy bear face or Mickey Mouse in the circle.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

McHeath

Wow, this is great!  I was wanting one of these.  A blurry greenish object, you can't have too many of them you know. ;)

AE_Collector

Is there any chance that this is a picture that the Mars Rover took and it was inadvertently beamed back to the ebaY Sellers Iphone just as he was putting up this ebaY Auction?

I'm Asking.....    :)

Terry

phone-sweep

Another fan of Time Tunnel.....

Reminds me - I used to collect wacky descriptions from phone auctions.  I've still got them.  These were copied and pasted from actual eBay auctions, parenthesis = my comments:

1.  "I don't know anything about this so feel free to e-mail any questions....."

2.  "I AM NOT A PHONE MAN SO YOU WILL HAVE TO EMAIL WITH YOUR QUESTIONS."

3.   "THE PHONE WAS WORKING, WHEN SHE TOOK IT DOWN OFF THE WALL, BUT I DON'T IT TO BE TRUE OR NOT. I DON'T KNOW ANY THING ABOUT ANTIQUE'S, OR WHAT IS REAL. OR WHAT  ISN'T ...."

4.  "This auction is for a collectible GOTH BLACK monophone Dial telephone with old style jack and black cord.
I'm afraid to test this phone because I worry Marylin M.(anson) is on the other end looking to come over for a beer."

5.  "Makes that nice solid "chunking" sound when dialed."

6.  "Look at the base plate to this telephone. It too is in near mint condition ....... It bears virtually no signs of its history, though some are present."

7.  ".....the cord in in good condition the base is the lie i said and the cradle is in good condition...."

8.  "The color is dark black."

9.  "You are bidding on an old Western Electric telephone, that I believe is from the 1930's. The dial has a Z in the operator hole, on the dial, which indicates it is from the thirties."

10.  "This vintage phone has tough tone dialing,...."

11.  (Title) "SOUTHWESTERN BELL FREEDOM PHONE WITH NORM & HIGH VALIUM"

12.  "Most collectors agree that normal wear adds to the uniqueness and value of each phone." 

13.  ......(telephone is)  MINT!......There is one scuff on the lower left side of the base at the ear that can be polished out .....

14.   (One phone is a SC) and the other is an Automatic Electric Monophone (?) possibly an AE40. Both pieces have cracks or breaks to the bakelite body and otherwise appear to be complete. BECAUSE THIS SAXAPHONE NEEDS TO BE REPAIRED I AM SELLING IT AS IS AND WILL NOT TAKE RETURNS ON THIS ITEM.