News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Elektrisk Bureau Metal Box Phone

Started by LarryInMichigan, May 04, 2014, 02:10:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LarryInMichigan

I got this phone (ebay link) a few weeks ago and just finished reassembling it today.  It is, of course, Norwegian, not Danish.  I managed to polish it up a bit.  I touched up the rusty spots where the paint was missing with a black paint marker, so they look slightly better.  The Telegrafverket decal is in nearly perfect condition.  The phone works.  There was quite a bit of static from the transmitter, so I connected a 550Ω resistor in parallel to divert some of the current away from it, and that helped.

There is a "1940" printed inside the receiver cup, but no other marking which look like dates.  The cloth cords have vinyl insulated wires in them, so they are obviously no earlier than the 1960s.  Can someone tell me what this model is called and approximately when it was made?

Thank You

Larry

Matilo Telephones

Very interesting Larry. I was curious about the insides of this phone, as I have its predecessor and wondered if the inside was similar. It is not. :-)

Nice job fixing this one up. I like the idea with the black marker. I must remeber that.

Here in Holland (and in  Germany) vinyl cords appeared in the late 30ies. And rubber too, but these almost never survive to the present day.

Do not know the type but DSK will no doubt have something to say about this one.

Can you please post a pic of the back of the dial? If it is not too much trouble? Seems to be a Standard Electric dial, but these are almost never dated.
Nothing datewise on the capacitor? No writing on the bottom?
Groeten,

Arwin

Check out my telephone website: http://www.matilo.eu/?lang=en

And I am on facebook too: www.facebook.com/matilosvintagetelephones

dsk

This is a nice one.
The label inside where the only I may read are O.T.A.
This states it is used in Oslo (The original was reverse dial) The actual metal fork was std from 1940.  The Original dial was supplied from STK  (later ITT).
The cord was used from 1953 to 1960. This phone was made from  1934-1964.

The schematics are in principle like the W.E. 302. Except for using the same 1 uF cap for the 1000 ohms ringer. (about 2-2.5 REN)

dsk

Schematic + Tele-car

BDM

Nice catch Larry. Interesting phone! I'm curious, is the dial similar in design to AE dials? I've often have wondered if that is the case on most Euro dials. Or are there actual design differences depending? Seems here, it's either W.E. or most everything outside of W.E. is AE or AE design (yes I know, North Electric dials are totally different).
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

LarryInMichigan

Here are pictures of the back of the dial and the paper tag inside the shell.  There is nothing on the bottom of the phone.

Larry

BDM

--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

LarryInMichigan

It the upper left of the picture of the insides, you can see that I added a 2.2KΩ resistor in series with the ringer to reduce the current draw (and REN).

The dial twists into the mounting cup and is held in place by a single screw from the bottom of the cup, very similar to the British GPO phones.

This is my third Oslo phone, so I am now pretty proficient at backwards dialing (1=9, 8=2, etc.) :).

Larry

dsk

A further look: I do not know when they changed from metal to bakelite fingerwheel, probably about 1945.  The date 1940 should not be far to wrong, the were usually not dated, but some may have a nearly invisible stamp under.  The paint are pretty good, and OTA demanded 6 layers of paint!  (Dialgizmo handles reverse dials)

dsk

Matilo Telephones

Same dial as I find them on Bell Antwerp phones, Standard electric and the like. American design, do not know its designation. Western Electric I think. My 302 has the same design.

That OTA lable is a refurbisment label, right? Dated 1961 (printed, design of the label).

The change from metal to bakelite for the fingerwheel, was that not because of the war? In the case of Norway: Germans commandering strategic metals?
Groeten,

Arwin

dsk

This model (1934 OTA) was originally made with a bakelite fork, but changed to metal because of the material issue during war, the metal fork was so much better, so they never went back to bakelite, pretty opposite of what expected?

dsk

Matilo Telephones

Yes, I expected the other way around.

In Germany they switched from metal fingerwheels to bakelite to save on metal.

And even from metal bells to glass bells.
Groeten,

Arwin

LarryInMichigan

Quote from: Matilo Telephones on May 04, 2014, 03:33:46 PM
Same dial as I find them on Bell Antwerp phones, Standard electric and the like.

I just posted about my BTMC 2712-B which has almost the same dial (link).

Larry

Matilo Telephones

Groeten,

Arwin

LarryInMichigan

Here is a page about dials from a 1936 BTMC catalog.

Larry

Matilo Telephones

Interesting Larry. Isn't this the same as an AE dial?
Groeten,

Arwin