News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Darn twisted cord.

Started by Dan/Panther, April 28, 2010, 03:15:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan/Panther

I'm sure everyone has these kind of cords. I'm sure we all spend the time going loop  by loop to straighten it out. My question is, is there a way to straighten these kinks without twisting each loop until you get past the kink ?
to make it easier, I disconnect the cord at one end, but I'm sure no one disconnected it to get it that way.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Kenny C

In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

JorgeAmely

D/P:

It is a ploy with the phone company to force you into switching to wireless. They come into your home at night, twist all the cords in sight hoping you will get mad at your phones and switch to a wireless or cell phone.

;D ;D ;D ;D

PS: They are also responsible with messing up your matched socks. This is all true since I read it on the internet.
Jorge

Kenny C

In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

JorgeAmely

Kenny:

As Doug Rose once said: "It's a hobby, it's supposed to be fun!"
Jorge

Dan/Panther

Have you ever noticed that after someone other than yourself uses one of your coiled handset cords, and when you go to use the phone, it's always twisted up.
I thinkm this is th reason they get that way. I make sure the cord is placed so it lays naturally, so it doesn't kink.

Jorge;
My question is this;
If I switch to cordless, now keep in mind that's just a big IF, IF I switch to cordless, will they give my socks back ?
D/P

JorgeAmely

D/P:

You are more twisted than I am.  ;D ;D ;D

Ask your dog about the socks, he/she saw the phone guys twist your cords and mess your socks.   ;)
Jorge

Bill

D/P wrote
Quoteis there a way to straighten these kinks without twisting each loop until you get past the kink?
Yes, there is a technique, a simple twist-of-the-wrist thing. It used to be taught to the installers, and I used to know how to do it. But I lost the bubble about 20 years ago, and now I can't reproduce it.

A quick Google brought up this technique:

Quote[You can produce a single knot] by grasping the coil with your hands a few coil-turns apart and rotating your hands in opposite directions in the direction that "unwinds" the coil. Once you have about one complete revolution, one of the loops near the middle with become enlarged, and then collapse with a single turn of coil folded backwards around it's neighbour.

Removing a single knot is accomplished by reversing the process. Grasp the coil on either side of the knot and twist your hands in opposite directions, such that your hands are acting to tighten the coil. The knot will enlarge, the loop with flip over and the coil will collapse back into its un-knotted configuration.

It takes a little experimentation to determine exactly how many turns apart your hands should be to produce/remove the knot.

Bill

bwanna

Quote from: JorgeAmely on April 28, 2010, 03:23:04 PM
D/P:

It is a ploy with the phone company to force you into switching to wireless. They come into your home at night, twist all the cords in sight hoping you will get mad at your phones and switch to a wireless or cell phone.

;D ;D ;D ;D

PS: They are also responsible with messing up your matched socks. This is all true since I read it on the internet.

this is how we get overtime  :o :D ;)

this is as maddening as a kinked garden hose....arrgghhh
donna

Dan/Panther

Bill;
Earlier today before I read your post, out of frustration, I grabbed the cord just outside of each kink, and pulled it apart, POP the kinks were gone, and I don't have  clue how I did it, I just pulled the coils until they were almost straight, and when I let it relax, it was fixed. I tried it on another cord with no luck, I must have pulled it just right, got lucky.

Bwanna;
The doggone kinked house will kink every time you use it, and get caught behind every object between you and the faucet.
Guaranteed.
D/P

Greg G.

Quote from: JorgeAmely on April 28, 2010, 03:23:04 PM
D/P:

;D ;D ;D ;D

I solved the sock problem by always buying the same manufacturer, style and color.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Doug Rose

Quote from: JorgeAmely on April 28, 2010, 03:28:30 PM
Kenny:

As Doug Rose once said: "It's a hobby, it's supposed to be fun!"

I know him!
Kidphone

Kenny C

Bwanna;
The doggone kinked hose will kink every time you use it, and get caught behind every object between you and the faucet.
Guaranteed.
D/P

I think that is like a built in feature ours gets caught on our phone pole
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010