News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Help IDing what I thought was a Kellogg 2bxer ,Frankenstein may have struck 1st!

Started by rfkimba, July 07, 2014, 04:52:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rfkimba

Dear Colleagues,
I recently bought this refinished 2 boxer on Ebay. My hopes were high due to the sellers sales pitch but upon closer inspection I think I have a Frankenphone. I was hoping for assistance identifying what most of the phone is. I studied all the relevant Kelogg catalogues in the TCI library  and note that the magneto does not appear to be Kellogg , although it does ring the bells. The magneto has the letter C with a H through it. Can anyone ID it?
The transmitter arm and base appear to be a Kellogg  #21. The receiver was Kellogg. The top box has a left side button when depressed lets the mangneto ring the bells but its position does  not line up with the side buttons in the catalogue. Th inside rim of the top wood case says BGE66. The top wiring binding posts are not like the catalogue. Can anyone ID it?
The bottom box has room for three small glass battery jars but the catalogue only show two boxers with two glass battery jars.
I attached a photos of the back of the main board showing the wiring channels.
The two bells and bell screws are brassed out with hints of nickel. Can anyone confirm these appear to be Kellogg screws as the are narrow in head diameter . I have yet to see red painted bell supports. I assume this was added later and should have been nickeled as the bells.
Your kind feedback is appreciated.  Additional photos will follow.
Thanks

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221464649289

Bob Farber
ATCA 4685

rdelius

The magnito is a Holtzer Cabot.Many brands of telephones used these.i do not know if Kellogg made there own in the early years.telephone looks nice and look for extra holes where the magnito mounts for clues

Fabius

Also you can remove the top box and look for extra holes indicating a different top box had been on the backboard.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

rfkimba

Hi Guys,
Attached are some closeups of the upper box and bells I am trying to ID on this Kellogg two boxer bought off Ebay. Is the upper box a Kellogg at all?
The magneto I was advised was Holtzer Cabot. The question is did they make them for early Kellogg two boxers without the Kellogg name.  The early Kellogg cataloges from the TCI library show Kellogg labeled magnetos. Also there are two unused mounting holes above the magneto.

The black button on the left of the top box doesnt line up with what is on the cataloges. I cant tell if these brassed out bells and screws appear to be early Kellogg or a later addition. The red bell supports I see nowhere else so I assume they were repainted later.
I took a photo of the  underside of the top box and see no unfilled holes consistent with a replacement  magneto.
The three top binding posts don't match the old Kellogg cataloges. Does anyone recognize the style?
Also the 3 glass battery jar holder in the lower box does not appear in the Kellogg line.
When I removed the top box as advised surprisingly there were no additional holes in the backboard or redundant mounting holes in the top box. It looks like the top box was only mounted once on this back board.
Any feedback is most appreciated as to the origens of this phone.
Thanks
Bob Farber

rfkimba

Hi guys,
I had omitted this photo of my Ebay Kellogg 2 boxer that  puzzled me about its origens. Although I have been  advised that Holtzer Cabot made early Kellogg magnetos, and the top box looks authentic,  I remain puzzled as to the origens of the bells, red bell supports and elaborate wire posts at top. I have not seen any red bell posts on older phones or Kelloggs.  Also the older Kellogg catalogues in the TCI library do not show such elaborate binding posts.   
Can anyone  knowledgeable about old Kellogg two boxers add their opinions?
Thanks
Bob Farber
ATCA 4685

Fabius

You may be able to track down the maker by researching that lightning arrestor. It may be that the phone has had the Kellogg transmitter and name plate added to it and everything else is straight..
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

Sargeguy

The phone looks like it was refinished and had the Kellogg parts added.  Other than that it looks intact.  I think Kelloggs of this period usually had a round door closure, not the oval keyhole type. 
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

rfkimba

Dear guys
Has anyone seen red bell mounts on other wood phones of this era?
Thanks
Bob Farber

Fabius

Quote from: rfkimba on July 11, 2014, 06:38:00 PM
Dear guys
Has anyone seen red bell mounts on other wood phones of this era?
Thanks
Bob Farber

Manhatten used red hardware but they were a few years earlier.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905