News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

My 2nd Payphone.

Started by Greg G., June 06, 2014, 04:38:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavePEI

No, yours isn't a COCOT. The COCOT ones had the chassis changed (along with other components) to put a smart board in them...

Just tell them it will cost .25 to make a call - it will take then a while to discover they don't need to put any coin in  :)

Fave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

Greg G.

Quote from: DavePEI on June 09, 2014, 07:34:46 PM
No, yours isn't a COCOT. The COCOT ones had the chassis changed (along with other components) to put a smart board in them...

Just tell them it will cost .25 to make a call - it will take then a while to discover they don't need to put any coin in  :)

Fave

My wife is the only "them" here, and she prefers the modern cordless, no interest in the payphone.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Greg G.

I just noticed this little hole between the coin slot and the coin release, what's it for?

Next question - How were signs attached?  I'm refering to the signs in metal holders, not the cards.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

ESalter

That's a set screw that prevents the instruction cards from being removed.  If you back it out a little, the card will slide upwards enough you can slip the bottom edge of it out of the faceplate.  There should be another one just like it above the lower instruction card.  As for metal signs, I don't know of any bell system issue sign frames made to mount to single slot phones.  DSK found an after market sign frame that attached to the top of the lower housing though.  It's the only one like it I've ever seen or heard of before.

---Eric

Greg G.

Quote from: ESalter on June 12, 2014, 12:21:59 AM
That's a set screw that prevents the instruction cards from being removed.  If you back it out a little, the card will slide upwards enough you can slip the bottom edge of it out of the faceplate.  There should be another one just like it above the lower instruction card.  As for metal signs, I don't know of any bell system issue sign frames made to mount to single slot phones.  DSK found an after market sign frame that attached to the top of the lower housing though.  It's the only one like it I've ever seen or heard of before.

---Eric

What tool is used in those tiny holes?  I would like to find a correct lower card.  The seller put the Ohio Bell card in there for whatever reason, maybe he was from Ohio.
- Mike Row
e

ESalter

I don't recall what size right off, but it takes a regular hex allen wrench.

Greg G.

Quote from: ESalter on June 12, 2014, 09:33:49 AM
I don't recall what size right off, but it takes a regular hex allen wrench.

Those I have, at least a couple of sets...somewhere.
- Mike Row
e

Greg G.

A few more questions regarding this phone and for future reference should I ever come across another payphone, and/or should I decide to sell this after I get tired of it and want a new toy, I'll know what to tell potential buyers.

Regarding manufacturers and manufacture dates.  Rotary dials I can tell at a glance by the position of the fingerwheel, but what about TTs?  How do you tell a WE from AE at first glance? 

Where is the manufacture dates on most payphones?  On this particular one, the only dates I see are 5-73 on the coin relay, and 11-81 on another part. 

Model number?

And what is that white stuff on the coin relay coil?  How would I test it to see if the coin relay actually functions?  I tried plunking a quarter in, but it fell all the way to the coin box with just a "clunk".  I would prefer a "ka-ching" sound if at all possible.
- Mike Row
e

ESalter

The AE phones are type 120s, they look entirely different on the front.  They aren't shiny chrome, the handset lanyard comes out the side, not a hole in the faceplate, the instruction cards are different sizes and in different locations, etc, etc. 

All of the parts should have dates.  The coin relay, the validator, the totalizer or signal board, the hopper assembly, the back of the dial assembly, the chassis board, the inside of the upper housing, the inside of the lower housing, the back of the lower housing...  The housing dates might be covered up if the phone was ever repainted.  If you can see the date on the hopper(the cast zinc part behind the coin relay), that's usually a good indication of the original manufacture date.  It'll probably be 1973, like the coin relay.  The phone was probably built as a 1C1 (rotary) or 1C2 (touchtone) in 1973, but was then updated in 1981 to a 1D2.  "C" type phones are convertible, they can be set up to work on either coin first lines or dial tone first lines.  "D" type phones are dial tone first only.  Even though the Cs could be made to work as DTF, the totalizers on those had lots of moving parts and required maint. so they changed them over to D type, which were electronic and basically never wear out.  All that being said, your phone as it's set up now is a 1D2. 

---Eric

DavePEI

To tell WE single slots from AE quickly, it is simple. The coin return is on the lower left on a WE, and on the lower right on an AE/Quadrum case. Same thing on either dial or TT styles.

To get the phone to Ka-ching, you will have to install a ka-chinger. They weren't supplied with the phones  :) Seriously, the only way to do this would be to build a controller for it to at least hold back the coins for a few milliseconds before dumping them into the coin box or the return. Otherwise on these they drop right through.

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

Greg G.

Great info guys, thanks a bunch!
- Mike Row
e

poplar1

Are you talking about the 11A/11B card holders?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-Single-Slot-Top-Sign-Payphone-Old-Telephone-Phone-3-Slot-AT-T-11B-/111383766343

Quote from: Brinybay on June 11, 2014, 10:42:18 PM
I just noticed this little hole between the coin slot and the coin release, what's it for?

Next question - How were signs attached?  I'm refering to the signs in metal holders, not the cards.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Greg G.

Quote from: poplar1 on June 16, 2014, 08:51:36 PM
Are you talking about the 11A/11B card holders?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-Single-Slot-Top-Sign-Payphone-Old-Telephone-Phone-3-Slot-AT-T-11B-/111383766343

Yes, I was, but I thought they didn't make them for single-slots, apparently they did, but only a few.  I'm also looking for a correct lower card to replace the Ohio Bell card:  http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=12073.msg127992#msg127992
- Mike Row
e

Greg G.

I bought these two Bell Atlantic cards from ebay thinking they would be the correct card, but I'm not quite sure.  For one, it says calls can't be received at the phone along the bottom of the card.  This phone sends and receives, unless it was set up not to receive when it was in service.  Although NY Telephone became NYNEX which became Bell Atlantic (later Verizon), would the phone still have been in service during the Bell Atlantic period?  IOW, would this be correct with all 3 names (NY Telephone, NYNEX, and Bell Atlantic) on the phone?

P.S.  Apparently the actual set screw for the lower card is missing, it's just a small hole.  Not too big a deal, the card pretty much stays in place ok. 
- Mike Row
e

Greg G.

I was doing some rearranging of phones and taking another look at this one and have a question.  The chrome face-plate is post-Bell System (NYT/Nynex), but can it be replaced with a Bell System era (with the Bell logo) face plate?  Are the insides Bell System era parts? 
- Mike Row
e